1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Heater recommendations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phathead, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Well I stated that I had lots of questions and here they come.  It seems every heater I have owned either stopped reading the correct temp or I broke it myself before it probably would have failed on its own.  I always use submersible heaters.  I am always looking for a better heater but they all seem to be in the same price range and all the same quality is there some out there I guess alittle more expensive that is made with quality. Or if they make a all in one system with more than one heater all tied to together. Maybe this is also something that can be controlled by the same thing my other question is about on which controler I should use?  As you can tell I am in a very confused on what I should do.

2. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    For normal affordable heaters go with Ebo-Jager. Other than that maybe titanium Wann brothers for a little more money.

3. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Ebo-jager is good, but don't fully submerse it. After I did it broke the temp controller on it, and it was always on after that.

4. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think all heaters are prone to failure and will fail at some point in time. With that said, I would never trust a heater again unless it's hooked up to a controller of some sort. It could be something as simple as a Ranco controller or an aquarium controller. You could also go with two smaller heaters instead of one large heater for redundancy.

5. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have had really good luck with the Visi-Therm Stealth heaters. I also have a newer Ebo-Jager that was fully submersed once, and no longer turns off, so I would hesitate to buy another Ebo-Jager.

6. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ebos these days are not what they used to be, i have 15-20 old ebos, i mean 20 years old that work perfectly, they are just low watt models, i used in 20 gal tanks.

im using the wan titanium in my reef tank now and its pretty consistant, ive had it for a few years.

7. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My favorite heater so far is my via-aqua titanium. It has the thermostat seperate from the heater. The recommended tank size is under-rated and it has held up well the last few years. I'm not sure if they still make them anymore, but the won brothers is very similar and probably just as good.

I also like the visi-therm stealth heaters, but I think the recommended tank size is over-rated.

My biggest suggestion would be to get anything that is submersible and that isn't glass.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    im using a stealth heater? idk if they are better than anything else, but i really like it. seems nice..

9. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think Lee is right about the Visi-Therm Stealth heaters being a little over-rated for tank size. I use the 150 watt on my 20 gallon tank, and it works perfectly for me.

10. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For my reef and my past breeding tanks I used Ebo's and Tronics. The Tronics were awesome in they were fairly priced, good reputation, and their temp swing was under 1 degree which is key for small tank temp stablility and fish spawning.