1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Heater questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DavidM199, Oct 12, 2008.

1. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We I just added about 50 more galllons of water volume to my setup and am thinking that i need to upgrade heaters.
    Right now I am running 3 100 watt heaters.
    What brands to you, guys like and trust?
    Also do you only run one heater, or do u have two?

2. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a similar q... just subscribing to the thread.

3. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I really like the Visi-Therm Stealth heaters - I haven't had one go belly up on me yet. I've had problems with the Ebo Jager heaters. How many gallons do you have, and what temp do you keep your house at?

4. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I used a mag 9.5 and halides to heat my tank.

5. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    i would run 2 heaters rather than just 1 ....that way if one goes out you'll have a back up and maybe a chance to save things

6. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have a 75 gal tank and just plumped my sump in my basement.

I house temp changes alot right now it is about 72. but my basement is a good 5 or more degrees cooler.

My t5s dont put out as much heat as your halides

7. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've heard about an interesting theory that I want to eventually try... Instead of using one heater use 3 or 4 small heaters. That way if one sticks on it may raise the temp some but it won't nuke your tank, and if one dies your tank isn't going to freeze. It would be best to have a controller but they can be expensive. I'm using a visitherm right now that I haven't had any problems with yet, but I haven't used it for long either.

8. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like visitherm stealth heaters... they seem to be a little over rated though, so get a larger size than what you would probably think. They are probably one of the least expensive heaters and they work well and are fully submeriible. I also like the via aqua titaniums but not sure if they still make them..... anything other than a glass heater will probably work good.

9. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Here's a good article on heaters. http://www.beananimal.com/articles/aquarium-heaters-what-you-need-to-know!.aspx

10. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't trust any heater without a controller of some kind. Even the Ranco controllers(cheap on eBay) would be better than nothing if you didn't want to get something like an AquaController Jr. Redundancy is a good thing in this hobby. I have my heater set to 77 degrees while the my controller will shut it down if it goes higher than 78.5.

11. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Do you know anyone who has tried the Ranco or Johnson controllers? I was thinking about getting one of them.

12. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know a couple people with Rancos and like them because they don't really have a burning need(simple setup) for a controller.  Here's a search on RC for it.  Results