1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

he is gone

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by mralanjones, Feb 18, 2009.

1. mralanjones

mralanjones Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well, he finally get eaten. I had a blue chromis in my tank to help the water level along its way. I purchased a gold striped grouper on Saturday. It seemed like the chromis was to big for the grouper to eat. all he did was chase him around. boy was I wrong. woke up today and the grouper's belly was bulging out. I am sure you all have been there. Surprised he made it as long as he did.  Got to love $6 feeder fish. atleast it wasn't a $40 fish. I knew it was going to happen but I fell a little found of that guy.

2. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You don't have to cycle your tank with live fish.......a piece of shrimp will work too. Why do you have a grouper in your tank if the cycle hasn't finished yet anyway? Putting a fish through an ammonia cycle is very stressful on the fish, not to mention a bit cruel /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    damsels are a cheap fish to use to cycel a tank why not just buy like 4-5 and let tank cycel threw and then put grouper in  it will eat the damsels them you wont have to try to cath them my lion ate my rabbit rish it was allsome to see them eat gold fish and stuffgrouper will eat most fish it size are you doing a fish only tank?

4. mralanjones

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i bought the chromis a few weeks before I bought the grouper. Went to the pet store and he said that my tank was cycled and I could put the fish i wanted it there. So my grouper didn't go threw the cycle. I am going to do reefs I just want to get the fish part down for right now. I also might move into a house so I thought it would be a lot harder to move reefs. I need to get some good lighting to.

5. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A piece of shrimp is a lot cheaper and a lot more humane.  Plus, almost all saltwater fish are still caught from the ocean, so although a $5 fish may seem cheap enough, you're still depleting the oceans resources and with regulations going the way they are re: harvesting of wild coral and fish, catching wild fish may be a thing of the past in the near future.  It's really just a shame to throw a beautiful fish away for the sole purpose of cycling your tank /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/crying.gif

6. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    everyone does something that another individual dont agree with, and most of the time it just needs to be taken with a grain of salt. and not to mention i have seen chromis get quit aggressive after being in a tank for awhile which aint to pretty if you cant add more fish, it aint no difference in knowing your fish is mean and not getting them out to try adding a new fish but they still go ahead and do it.  or people that yell at people for moorish idols and then ask for a linkia or feather star knowing that the majority of the time are also dead with a year and a half

7. mralanjones

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the fish didn't die from the cycle of the tank. it was eaten by another fish. if you say that is wrong look at the ocean since you like to reference to it. All fish have to eat something. there a lot of fish that eat other fish. wouldn't that be depleting the ocean of fish. no it is survival of the fittest.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    its your tank i say do what you want with it and dont worrie what others think i feed gold fish to my lion fish and have 4 tangs 3 clown and other stuff in a 90 and most dont like it but tuff its my tank my money hope every thing works out for ya

9. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    This is basically true Racecar, but I noticed something you mentioned. You feed goldfish to your lion. Just in case you didn't know ( I almost killed my puffer and Lion by feeding them only Krill ), if you feed ONLY goldfish there is a high chance he will not do well over time. I am sure you are already doing this, but the bulk of his diet should be a mix of many marine foods mostly various crustaceans. Not many goldfish in the ocean. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif I know its your money, but just in case you didn't know ....

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yes i do feed him krill and i allso heard goldfish can give them a hole in thair head i love lion fish and its allsome the way thay eat other fish so fast il going to try this week to get him on silver sides and see what happends i hope i can et him off the live or atleast cut back on them lions can be pickey i didnt feed him for 2 weeks like pet store said if he gets hungery he will eat krill a silver sides but i gave in and feed him live anyways worried he would die i heard you can take silver side and a peace of fishing line and drag the silver side threw the water like its a live im going to try this and see what happends thanks for the info on the diet i did not know that mabey you saved my lions life :)