1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Has anyone ever heard of caffeine making acans color pop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bill Liebbe, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Bill Liebbe

LeClaire
    Ratings:
    +31 / 1 / -0
  2. ShaneP Well Known Hawkfish

Williamsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    Not sure about acans but coffee makes me pop. :)

It doesn't mention how though.. How would someone get one to ingest caffeine? should we try to feed one some coffee grounds?

3. clown man Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa city,iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 2 / -0
    following this

4. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    OK first we are told that dosing vodka into the tanks helps our reefs, now they're trying to tell us that coffee also helps.

I think our tanks are developing a bit of a substance dependency problem.

5. ShaneP Well Known Hawkfish

Williamsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    So I found this... Home - Liquid Caffeine

I'm starting a drip. I'll have the hottest corals around! Jason Fox can eat his heart out. :smug:

6. Bill Liebbe

LeClaire
    Ratings:
    +31 / 1 / -0
    Caffeine produces the energy effect by stimulating dopamine receptors in the human brain. It, however, is at the low end of substances which do this. Perhaps a crushed Ritalin of a small line of meth added to the tank would be better?

Proof positive you can find a website somewhere that will say anything that can be thought of.

7. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    LOL @ line meth. Selling corals to afford the drugs that you are feeding to the corals. Vicious cycle that would be.

8. Not sure about corals but I do know some fish have cannabanoid receptors.

9. ShaneP Well Known Hawkfish

Williamsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    I dug through some research articles about caffeine and corals, and everything I read points the opposite way. That caffeine is used as a wastewater contaminant marker, you know since we humans drink so much of it, and that it has a detrimental effect on algae, thus the zoox, and was thought to contribute to bleaching.

I want to know what that guy was up to and where he got his info. Especially since I just dumped a venti dark roast in my tank shortly after reading his article. ;)

10. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    Ah a true "reefer".

11. Bill Liebbe

LeClaire
    Ratings:
    +31 / 1 / -0
    Hmm, I wonder if I can get a 'Medical Marijuana" card for my tanks?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. the new apartment manager at my building had a fit when they saw my tank and told me I had to remove it in 24 hours... I went to the Dr and I now have a prescription for a "companion fish"

13. Bill Liebbe

LeClaire
    Ratings:
    +31 / 1 / -0
    Excellent

I work at the Trinity Rock Island Hospital in the Crisis Stabilization Unit in the ED

We have a 300gal Reef Tank done by Coral Haven in Bettendorf
    There is research showing the benefits of "Aquarium Therapy" and I frequently take patients in there to talk the tank is both calming and a great icebreaker to start a conversation.

Your Dr. is right on target, and it can be backed up with evidence-based research.

14. Angi Allison Inactive User

Earlham
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    :DI'd keep the caffeine in your diet not that of your tanks inhabitants. They can't put on jogging shoes and run off a buzz of any type. Not to mention ordering pizza delivery for munchies. Lol

15. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Never heard of caffeine for corals but sounds interesting.