1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Help!! Advice? Has anybody ran into this?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Derek34, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Lately I've noticed some dark blotches appearing on my live rock. I've got the rock in my 55 gal. I'm getting ready to upgrade into a 120 gal. I'm thinking I may have to start fresh with new live rock if I'm unable to eliminate this. Does anybody know what this is and/or how to deal with this? Some research I've done is possibly pointing at Lobophora???? Here are some pictures of what it looks like. These are not of my current rock but instead of pictures I've found on the net that look like what I'm dealing with. Thanks!

upload_2017-12-12_10-1-25.png

upload_2017-12-12_10-1-38.png

upload_2017-12-12_10-1-48.png

upload_2017-12-12_10-1-57.png

2. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    Hard to tell without actual pictures of your tank. It could be cyano, it could be diatoms, it could be some other algae.

3. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    It is very hard. Similar to coralline. You can't scratch or scrape it off the rock with a brush or anything. You would have to scrape off the top layer of rock to remove it.

4. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    I've seen that before. I think it is just another type of coralline. The color of coralline depends on light intensity and elements in the water. Perhaps whatever your specific tank has going on for it is conducive to brown algae.

5. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    It could be the initial stages of periphyton forming - the living surface layer of your rock. Could just be a phase.

6. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Don't know if this helps or not but the tank is about 2 years old now. My rock looks very similar to picture 3 that has a good growth of purple coralline algae established on the rock. In a way I hope it is brown coralline and yet I don't! It's not very attractive... I'm thinking I may take a single rock out and spot treat the brown areas with 3% hydrogen peroxide. See if that puts a dent in it. I would just like to get this sorted out before I start to make my move to the 120. Thank you everybody for your responses. I value all of them. Keep them coming!!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  7. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Ok so I'm really convinced it's Lobophora (aka Brown Wafer Algae). Has anybody had this particular algae?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  8. Bboge13 Pico Reef Keeper

Center Point, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Maybe Try an urchin? If it is Lobophora I've read a blonde naso tang will take care of it.

9. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    That's what I was just reading on the Naso as well. I may give that a try.

10. Bboge13 Pico Reef Keeper

Center Point, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Get a small one and at least then you could house it for awhile in the new tank as well.

11. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I still haven't 100% confirmed that it is in fact Lobophora. It seems like a good candidate however I'm not ruling out what DangerJ and Bud said too.

12. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Here is a picture of it on a rock in my tank.

upload_2017-12-12_13-33-34.png