1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Help!! Hanna Calcium Checker

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tadpole, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Tadpole GIRS Member

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +1 / 1 / -0
    Has anyone else had problems with the Hanna calcium Checker my readings are all over the place between 600 + that 280 does not get a consistent reading I watch the video I've contacted a Hanna they sent me an updated video and the guy couldn't even get the correct calcium count on his all I'm getting is a bunch of running around from Hanna how do you guys use the Hanna Checker and make it come out right

• Ninja'd Ninja'd x 1
    • Noteworthy! Noteworthy! x 1
    • List
  2. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    I utilize their di water, their curvette cleaner. Also go slow with the white titrator.

3. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Eric / @Pygmey@Pygmey has been talking about this same thing lately, so Eric do you have the process down? Seems like this is a common difficulty with this particular checker, most of their checkers are pretty straight forward, I did a writeup on the Phosphate/Phoshorus checker here Hanna Checker: Phosphate & Phosphorus but if you have a handle on it and wanted to write it up and do a video I think that might help people using this checker

4. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    I bought the Hanna Checker for Calcium - shortly after it came out, about 4 or 5 years ago. I tried it once and sent it back. At that time the amt of sample water from your aquarium was only .1 ml - and in my opinion too difficult to get a precise reading. One of their suggestions at that time was to get a hypodermic needle - so I could have more precision on the .1ml. That didn't fly with me.

Have they improved the process since then ?

5. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    I also have had a terrible experience with the Calcium checker. I use their alk and PO4 checker all the time and they are awesome. But my Ca checker has spent the last few years sitting on the shelf. I believe I heard that they now provide a different syringe for measuring out the .1mL.

6. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Make sure the vials are free of dirt and smudges, since it uses light to do the measurement.

7. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    I have had alot of luck.. I will write something up and do a video

8. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Yup, true for all Hanna Checkers, I use a glass-cleaning cloth (not a microfiber, kind of like a polishing cloth)

9. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I like the Hanna po4 checker and phosphorus checker. I haven' tried the alkalinity checker but I did try the calcium checker. I found it to be horrible. I will not use it ever again. Very inaccurate and different readings everyone.
    I just use Red Sea and salifert kits.

10. Tadpole GIRS Member

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +1 / 1 / -0
    Yes they added a pipette with the kit now. Still junk and hanna has nothing but excuses why it doesn't work.

11. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    Here is a video on what to get in addition to the checker..

and here is a video of doing the actual test

12. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    Any feedback? Have you all been trying it this way? Any other testing videos etc that people are looking for?