1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Hair Algae in Frag Tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Troy, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I am starting to get quite a bit of hair algae in my frag tank.   NOT GOOD  I thought about moving one of my tangs but since its only a 20 long, it wouldn't have any swimming room. I do have a emerald grab in there but its not doing its job every well.   Anyone know a better way of getting rid of hair algae.  

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are you still seeing the problem where you're experiencing slow chaeto growth?

3. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do you use white egg crate? I have read it can cause hair algae but I have no personal experience with it. Or you could try some Mexican turbo snails...they'll eat all the hair algae you have. The downside is that they are notorious for knocking frags over.

4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I had HA in my frag tank forever, not really sure why, i have tried emerald crabs, snails, manually pulling the stuff, i even had a $500 skimmer in the darn thing and it just wouldn't go away. I was even using black egg crate, and I am not sure if i'll ever know why it was so bad in there but it has finally subsided. One thing it could have been is excess CO2 from my CA reactor along with the 10k bulb I have hanging over it. It's weird though because neither of those have changed but the HA went away.

5. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the cheato grow has taken off, filling my fug almost completely now. I am using white egg creat, and most of the HA is on the egg creat. Now I am woundering if I put my medium size yellow tank in a 20 long for just a week and see if it will eat that stuff. Would that cause serious stress on that fish. I have a few turbo snails in the display, i will move them to the frag and see if that will help.
    Thanks for the help everyone.

6. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Troy I would try the turbos, they should help.

One thing you may want to try is to put the egg crate in your sand bed if its fairly new egg crate, just cover it up with a little bit of sand to help establish some good bacteria on it. Just a thought.

7. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    emerald crabs cleared mine out if any pops up its gone the next day

8. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I just pulled all my green forest egg crate with white sporatic spots. I replaced it with new white egg crate sprayed black with Krylon fusion black paint. Two weeks, So far so good. That white egg create created a forest.

9. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well sounds like I will be making my a new frag rack. I would rather redo in now and not haft to try to fight the white egg crate forest. Need to look up that thread that was asking where to get the black egg crate at.

10. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Why pull your hair out trying to find black egg crate? Krylon Fusion paint work just fine. I know it is scary but it has been tested by many on RC.

11. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Regal Plastics $11 per sheet, they are in DM and there is one here in Evansdale.

12. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Waverz on 07/11/2009 07:07 AM
    Regal Plastics $11 per sheet, they are in DM and there is one here in Evansdale.
    EDIT, wrong post.  Sorry

13. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok well today I am painting the white egg crate with that krylon fusion spray paint. It is going okay so far. Looking really good. but have question. after it dries is it safe to put in the water, or is there a cure time or something. any info on this would be great.

14. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I waited one day after it was dry. It is a bunch better than plain white but I am getting some algae growth.