1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Gyre Placement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nlandgraf, Aug 9, 2019.

1. nlandgraf

nlandgraf

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I have a 6ft, 150 gallon tank. Have not been happy with my Hydor pumps on the back glass so I bought 2 Icecap 3k to replace the Koralias.

I have 2 MP40s and 2 Icecaps and looking for guidance on where to place the 4 power heads. Anyone else out there that has combined both pumps for their display?

2. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    Either end about 2 1/2 inch down for the gyres and probably mid on the sides closer to the back glass to force water through the rock scape and keep the organic waste in the water column so it can make it down to the sump

3. M2R

Charles City
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    What's a gyre and how did it make all these years without ever worrying about where to put one?

Sorry I couldn't help myself. A gyre is a major ocean current, a rotating dominate current. I think what you want in your tank is random fluctuating currents created by having several pumps on random timers.

4. nlandgraf

nlandgraf

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Early review on the Icecaps after having them installed for a day. I am a big fan. The Icecaps move a ton of water, have several different setting options, and gives a cleaner look to the tank, as I have gone from 6 powerheads to 4 in the tank. Icecaps are on the sides of the tank at the moment, and the MP40s are on the back glass. Tonight I am going to swap placement on one MP40 and an Icecap.