1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Growth shots anyone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Waverz, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I have a single 400 watt PFO ballast and a Bluewave II that is a dual 400 watt pulse start ballast, that i bought from JJ a few years ago.  I am pretty happy with both units.
    Posted By slovan on 12/23/2007 8:04 PM
    What kind of ballasts are you running, Jeremy?

2. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's cool, it looks like you have the right ballasts to get the most out of the XM's. I miss that look, it's so hard to duplicate with 250 watters.

3. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    It would definitely be hard to go back to 250's once you have had 400's.
    Posted By slovan on 12/23/2007 9:59 PM
    That's cool, it looks like you have the right ballasts to get the most out of the XM's. I miss that look, it's so hard to duplicate with 250 watters.

4. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm learning to live without it. It's not easy but at least I don't have to run a chiller and 2 fans anymore. Oh well, I suppose I can look at your pictures and go see JJ's tank for my fix. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif src="/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif" align=absMiddle border=0>

5. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Posted By Waverz on 12/23/2007 9:28 PM

Posted By slovan on 12/23/2007 9:19 PM

Posted By glaspie69 on 12/23/2007 9:10 PM
    Are you two gunna rag on me the rest of my life?.....Gunna start giving me a complexWhat's this in regards to?
    My thoughts exactly....what are you talking about?  Did i miss something?
    That was regarding the size of my frag......hence the size complex.....[​IMG]

6. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The more rare they are, the smaller they are. You should've seen my watermelon when I first got it, it was tiny! I don't mind small as long as the frags are healthy.

7. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As you know, the plugs are roughly the size of a quarter.  Look how tiny the watermelon is in comparison to a quarter! [​IMG]
    Here's what it looked like when I got it.
    [​IMG]
    Here's what it looks like now.
    [​IMG]

8. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thats pretty good growth for just over a month, do you spot feed your lps sone?

I have been thinking about trying that rather than slamming my whole tank a couple times a week and turning the pumps off.....

9. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No, I just feed the entire tank with the in-tank pumps running. I shut down the skimmer and return pump when I feed. I'm sure spot feeding would probably be the best method for maximum growth but if I spot fed 1 coral then it would turn into 40 corals and I would be there for an hour everyday.

10. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here's my nuclear green palys.  When I got them, there were only 3 polyps.  Now there are 5 little ones that has grown since then.  One thing worth noting is that these palys seem to migrate.  Notice how I had it mounted dead center on the disk?  Now it has moved off to the side.

Then:
    [​IMG]

Now:
    [​IMG]

11. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here's the purple death palys.  Just like the nuclear greens, I only got 3 polyps to start.  Now there are over 6 new polyps on it.
    Then:
    [​IMG]
    Now:
    [​IMG]

12. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Vice Sone! I'll put up some more growth shots later, i gotta get my butt to work.

13. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks Jeremy, can't wait to see what you're going to share! 
    These Armor of God paly variation has grown out a bunch.  It only had about 15 polyps to start with and now there's over 40.  Too bad my other palys doesn't grow that fast.

Then:
    [​IMG]

Now:
    [​IMG]

14. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    You guys are getting some awesome growth! You obviously are doing something right!

15. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Matt! It's harder to tell when you see them everyday. That's why it's nice to look back on pictures.

16. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    At that rate you should have your tank looking nice in short order! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

17. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I hope so, that's the goal anyway. I'm tired of looking at frags. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif It'll be another 2 years before everything is fully grown in.

18. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Decided to go through some old pics, here are some more growth shots.
    Tri Color Valadia 3-11-07
    [​IMG]
    Today
    [​IMG]

Hydnophora2-27-06

[​IMG]
    Today
    [​IMG]
    Green Slimer 3-11-07
    [​IMG]
    Today
    [​IMG]
    Green with pink tips 6-12-07
    [​IMG]
    Today
    [​IMG]
    Chalices 3-19-07
    [​IMG]
    Today
    [​IMG]

Birdsnest 3-11-07

[​IMG]

Today
    [​IMG]
    Enjoy!

19. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow! Thanks for sharing, Jeremy! Not only are you getting phenomenal growth, the colors are so much better now than they were back then. You should really be proud of your tank.

20. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Sone, I am very proud of it, it has taken a lot of "learning things the hard way" to get where i am. I just hope the growing trend continues for years to come.