1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Growing phyto and fishbreeding

Discussion in 'Quad Cities Area' started by Guest, Dec 15, 2007.

1. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Benji on 12/20/2007 2:10 PM
    am i correct to assume one can cultivate rotifers and pods together due to the fers reproduction rate and it would beneficial to the fer colony to keep the size undercontrol.
    can i also assume that because different strains of fers have different fatty acids, it would be beneficial to mix fer strains in the cultivation tank since the tolerate the same relative params.
    thanks for any confirmation or corrections.
    ben
    i think its safe to assume that nobody knows jack about this subject.[​IMG]
    there are a couple guys around here that have raised them but they aint talkin.
    i guess untill then we can read up on this subject.

2. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Reading is the best idea. I suggest "Clownfishes" by Wilkerson. As for crossing items, never a good idea. Something will always win and kill the other. Rotifer strains are seperated by size and HUFAs are set by what you feed them. Tips to rotifer cultures, change water every day. Be prepared to dump them down the drain or give them away due to over population. They need to be fed 2-3 times a day. You can raise your own pyto, but if it crashes or you run out your rotifers die. You can buy instant algae for about $100 shipped, which isn't feasible unless you are raising fry. Your best bet is to buy some off Hung or use frozen rotifers if you are just feeding your tank.

3. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As a heads up, I am without internet until January and will not be on here much.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ive HAD A LOT OF LUCK GROWING THE PHYTO ITS DOING GREAT IVE DONE 30 GALLONS IN LAST MONTH IF ANY ONE NEEDS ANY