1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Growing phyto and fishbreeding

Discussion in 'Quad Cities Area' started by Guest, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I talked to few local peeps about breeding fish and growing phyto and other cultures to sustain your coral.  I used to get all my info from the breeding forum on reefcentral, it used to be a hopping place.  But one guy "MWP" provided most of the info, he got banned, because people wanted to buy his livestock and he made an errant post.  He's cracked a few species and is working hard on several others.   RC lost a great resource when they banned this dude.  Anyway he's stillout there posting away at:
    http://www.rareclownfish.com
    His old threads
    http://www.rareclownfish.com/forums/showthread.php?t=804

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I found another good source @ MOFIB.com

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Looking at it I think it is actually same guy. We may even have him come speak sometime if there is enough interest.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That would be a good idea, he's lives in chicago.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's a pretty cool site, lot's of good info.

7. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great idea Atram....I would like to learn to cultivate rotifers to feed my corals.

eins

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it's a good way to feed your fish and coral, a very natural food source.

9. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Atram, I believe "MWP" is actually the founder of MOFIB forum.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I noticed that.  He moved over to rareclownfish.com when he got banned from RC.  It's good that he opened his own website.

11. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah he really knows his stuff. After reading his forum I learned that breeding fish is not for me. We do have a great resource locally. Travis, probably could give someone all the info they'd ever need to know on growing phyto and breeding clowns and might even come over to help set up if needed.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes Travis is a great resource, unfortunately for us he's moving away.  Another regional group will be lucky to have him.  I'm not to interested in breeding anything at this point, but who know's in the future it might be something that I would want to try.   Making my coral flourish is my next goal, once my tank matures.

13. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have kicked around the idea of hosting a meeting on breeding and live food growing, but can just never find the time. I think everyone should try growing phyto and rotifers before even thinking about breeding anything though. You have to master raising the food before you will ever be successful raising the fry and I found that rotifers are much harder to maintain than the fry.

14. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    travis
    been reading alittle about rotifers.
    -where do you get your starter rotifers at?-
    at some point i do plan on trying my hand at breeding some clowns, a long ways away.
    but like you say food for the fry comes first.
    did you feed the rotifers green water that you made or did you use a bottled product like instant algae.
    i am an old hand at raising my own artemia but would like to give this a try, sounds like a challenge.
    i like jacking around with this stuff.
    if you can, and i know you already said you dont have much time but can you list the most crucial steps to
    raising rotifers, just a heads up what to look out for type of discription, without going into detail.
    thanks.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

i have 8 gallons of phyto growing in a nano tank if any one needs any 7 more days it will be done

16. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    heres what looks like a good site for growing rotifers

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2002/breeder.htm

17. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    don who went on the cedar rapids tank tour has a clown breeding operation and grows all of his own stuff

18. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By fnvarner on 12/19/2007 7:38 PM
    don who went on the cedar rapids tank tour has a clown breeding operation and grows all of his own stuff
    is he in GIRS?
    id like to get him on here to share some info.

19. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    i guess he joined the club on the cr tank tour i dont know if he does anything with the internet hes a pretty busy guy

20. Benji

Benji Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    am i correct to assume one can cultivate rotifers and pods together due to the fers reproduction rate and it would beneficial to the fer colony to keep the size undercontrol.
    can i also assume that because different strains of fers have different fatty acids, it would be beneficial to mix fer strains in the cultivation tank since the tolerate the same relative params.
    thanks for any confirmation or corrections.
    ben