1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

group buy

Discussion in 'Waterloo / Cedar Falls Area' started by ruggerkc, Apr 20, 2009.

1. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    They said as long as the order is over $225 it's free shipping and 10% off.

I just like Reef Hot Spot because it seems they have better pricing on coral frags, more affordable/brighter corals, and affordable acan frags. Just my two cents.

So now if everyone can give their input that will be ordering. We can decide by tomorrow or something...?

2. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have ordered many times from blue zoo and every thing was in tip top shape(mainly fish and inverts)they currently have blue strip pipes and if we order from them,i"m in for a 100$ worth of life forms,so blue zoo is my vote, especially if craig is willing to have them shipped to his shop and sort them out(which is mighty kind of him)

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I can sort them out no matter who we buy from.

4. wolfman1973

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    even better deal then!

5. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    So it sounds like Blue Zoo is the favorite.

I was also eying those blue stripe pipefish. Ever since I was over at Dan's place I've been so anxious to get some! I think I will buy two if there is still two in stock by the time I order, a copperbanded butterfly, a shrimp and shrimp goby(yellow rose goby and candy strip pistol shrimp), a large female mandarin to go with my male(Craig I'm sure you'll do this too since you were talking about it on the tour), sexy anemone shrimp, yellow polyps, and an open brain coral. So 210.55 for me. :)

Thanks for getting this together Craig!

6. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    woops, i meant $228.50

7. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I bet we get over $1000 cause I want a bunch of stuff too. I will have to see if they can get female only mandarins. I see they have red ones listed but no pic or in stock yet, I have never seen them.

I am anxious to get some pipefish too, they looked awesome at dans. I am going to get my rotifers & brine shrimp going so hopefully that will supplement their diet.

Heck we can do this every 3 months if we get enough interest.

I will call them Monday & set it up unless anyone else has any objections.

8. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    What do you mean, read the description in the "Place Your Order Here" part and it says if they are females or males. They will sex them for you.
    Yea I'm sure we will be able to do this every 3 or 4 months. Not just trying to bring it up again, but it would be cool if we try a new site each time and we can see what each place's product looks like! Then from there we will all know what they all have to offer!
    I bet every time we do an order we get more people to buy stuff because more people know about it. Maybe we'll get some people from CR to even order with us.
    When do we think the deadline will be for this order? My tax return is estimated to be direct deposited to my account next Friday(May 1st), but there might be a 2 business day processing delay before it shows up in my account. As long as it's past then I'm definitely up for the order. Hopefully that won't be too much of a hassle.
    Adam

9. wolfman1973

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    we have to decide how we will get together and order and adam i will let you have first crack at the blue stripes,i could always wait until the next time we do this but please do some reserch on them first.i know from what i have read on them that they make my dragon faces look like giants because they only get to about 2 and a half inches!they also seem to take to frozen fairly well and feed out of the water column(they take curent real well as they are great swimmers(they don't crawl around like mine)you should also call them to see if they can sex them for you(the male has little bumps on top of his snout)if you get two males they will fight to the death!!!

10. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I will find out monday on what their procedure are. Sounds like they do it quite a bit.

I thought about inviting the other areas to participate if they want to come get their stuff.

11. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    I am only buying some clean up critters and maybe a couple of clowns. I really wanted the goby/shrimp pair but since I only have a frag tank and no sand i probably isn't real smart.

12. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    What do you want for clowns KC?

I may get rid of a couple of mine.

13. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    I want a couple of fire clowns

14. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    what do you have

15. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    What the hell is a fire clown, I havent seen those?

I just have regular orange oscellaris & B&W Oscellaris

16. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Hey Dan, I've done a bunch of research, but I think the size of the blue stripes was the one thing I missed. I was assuming they were the same size as the others. You can go ahead and get the blue stripes. I might order two dragon faced pipes. I know they are supposed to be the easiest ones to take care of. I'm going to call them later and ask if they can find me a male and female pair.
    Fire clowns are like naked tomato clowns, not sure if you've seen naked perculas. They have the same body shape, but they are all red.

17. wolfman1973

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have a male fire clown that lives in my xenia,i used to have a pair but the female was so mean to everything in the tank so i fished her out and put her in my 75.she started to bully the tankmates in there also until my trigger decided to eat her!now my male trys to get with my female tomato but she chases him away,now adam the best way that you can identify the sexes in the dradonfaces in my observations is that the male has a blue spot with little orange claspers on his underside also from what i have seen on the net is you can have several dragons,male or females

18. wolfman1973

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hey adam,i wouldn't say the dragons are the easiest but they seem to be the best suited for a reef,from what i know about them is that they are the least likely of the pipes to take frozen!!!and as i am sure you already know,they will compete with your manderians for pods

19. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Yea Dan, I have TONS of pods. I have a hang on the back refugium, a fairly deep sandbed(think I might add more to it when I move to a new place in June) and my rock is super porous. I understand that they eat pods and ampipods. We'll see how things are goin, I'm building another hang on the back refugium that I will start up sometime in the near future. Thanks for the help with IDing them. If you have more info on them, like sites or anything, you can send me a PM with some additional info. Thanks for the help Dan.

20. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    Posted By xroads on 04/25/2009 06:40 AM
    What the hell is a fire clown, I havent seen those?
    I just have regular orange oscellaris & B&W Oscellaris We had one a few years ago. They like RBTA
    http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_1...arent_id=4