1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Green water and Artemia for Sale/ Trade

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by jjtruemper, Nov 14, 2009.

1. jjtruemper

jjtruemper Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Original message removed due to non-compliance.

--AJ

2. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    location?

3. KirklinsClownfish Well-Known ReefKeeper

Robins Ia
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Let us know where you are ...we'd be interested in checking it out!

4. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    His profile says Solon, Ia

5. jjtruemper

jjtruemper Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Original message removed due to non-compliance.

--AJ

6. Big John

Big John Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What is green water? Please.

7. KirklinsClownfish Well-Known ReefKeeper

Robins Ia
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I just got the green water last night from him...what a set up clean clean I will buy lots for my baby clowns Thanks Jeramy.....    Jason K         Sweet 300 gal.

8. jjtruemper

jjtruemper Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For everyone who already knows sorry, he asked...green water is phytoplankton plant cells from which all or most all aquatic life fresh and salt depends upon in order to exist. Phytoplankton takes land nutrients (nitrate and nitrite) and aquatic waste and uses it along with oxygen and sunlight and forms in giant blooms (where much aquatic life starts) in this "soup" grows zoo-plankton
     (animal plankton) shrimp, rotifers, larva etc all small organisms or larvas floating in the giant bowl of "soup" until a whale shark comes along...lol sorry i think i am funny anyways Millions of fish coral and larva are supported in the cycle of aquatic life all beginning with one very important key element GREEN WATER! So ya dose your tank to feed coral, zoo plankton and shrimp or dose tank to keep nitrate nitrite levels down (in actuality if you have any biological life at all it will be gone to quick to divide cells) just don't over feed or water will be green too...something you have to figure out as you dose daily (what amount your established bioload can consume). Thanks and sorry for long reply!  Jeremy

9. Big John

Big John Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For everyone who knows----YES I did ASK----Being fairly new to the hobby I simply had never heard of Green Water.
    If you all think this was a dumb question then I appologize for my DUMBNESS!

Thank you Jeremy for your response.
    --John

10. jjtruemper

jjtruemper Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No way man no such thing as dumb question I am still learning too after 8 yrs in the hobby we all are. my wife says I have a problem over doing it sometimes sorry for the drawn out explanation! Jeremy/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif

11. Big John

Big John Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You couldn't explaned it any better---Thank you!

12. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    John,
    I think the club faces a bigger problem at times which is *not* asking questions when someone needs help.  The club is here to help each other.  As long as you're willing to take the advice, the club is here to help you out.  In some cases for common issues, you may be pointed to a Wiki article with the information that you're looking for, but when you need to know something, ask the question.  Also, remember Google is your friend too.  There's a lot of information out there.
    --AJ

13. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Jeremy,
    Do you gut load your artemia? Also, how old are they when you sell them?

--AJ

14. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had always heard that artemia lost nutritional value the older they get if not gut loaded. I came across this research document from a student at the University of Rhode Island that I think does a nice job of charting the caloric value of artemia as they age.

http://digitalcommons.uri.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1085&context=srhonorsprog

I like the idea of feeding live brine shrimp to my fish...watching them swim around and gobble 'em up. I might pick some up just for the entertainment value!

--AJ

15. jjtruemper

jjtruemper Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    exactly right after about one to two days the nutrient value from the yoke sack is gone after that they are what that eat! That is why brine shrimp feed on yeast feeds like roti rich are not a sufficet food source! To make them protin rich they must be feed three times a day with different food sources like jeremys juice LOL a mix of yeast feed vitamins baby food and oyster eggs in the morning and night and I turn them green for lunch LOL green water. It is alot of work but you should see my shrimp dance at the top of the water for an hour and all the fish dive and cut till the water is cleared by far my tanks favorit food! All my aqua culturing started for my own use so quality and purity are number one! Like everything I do I have over don't it and have a continuous culture of about 30 gal pure green water every two week same with the brine I feed dayly and still have numbers in the millions but I love work and I love doing it right and seeing a quality end product salt water in in my blood and never gets old always more to learn! Sorry for rambling again but I love this stuff!
    Jeremy

16. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Jeremy's Juice...LOL! It sounds like you're doing a great job with this. Anyone else going out to pick some stuff up? I think I need to go out and check out your operation and get some of those brine shrimp!

--AJ

17. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By dblwidedog1 on 11/17/2009 08:27 AM
    For everyone who knows----YES I did ASK----Being fairly new to the hobby I simply had never heard of Green Water.
    If you all think this was a dumb question then I appologize for my DUMBNESS!
    Thank you Jeremy for your response.
    --John
    I second that. I am a huge newb as well and was wondering the same thing. SO thank you dwlwidedog1 for asking and thank you Jeremy for answering /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

18. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Yes there are a ton of weird names for things in this hobby, never hurts to ask.

19. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm, I may come up there some day and see this set-up and get some green water.......Jeremy, you should give a tour! I bet a bunch of people would like to see this and get some green water. We just need better weather.