1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Got a tank now what?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Mdemuth, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Mdemuth

Mdemuth Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My name is mike. I live in Atkins with my wife son and father. I bought an aquarium set up last week off craigslist and now need to figure out what i want to do with it. I want to give saltwater a try but don't really know where to start. Heres what i bought a Oceanic 75 reef ready tank. It has glass tops and a 2 tube light. It came with a CPR 900 wet dry filter, a rio 2100 pump. It also came with a 300 watt heater. It also has various rocks, air pumps, and fish food. The guy said it was used for fresh water, and had a bunch of tetras in it.

I know i need to get a protein skimmer but don't think that one will fit in the filter. So i may need to get a new sump. If not does bio bale work for salt water?

Any advice will be helpful!

2. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mike
    Welcome to the club. I am Troy Avis, one of the CR trustee's. I am willing to help, but what I think you will need to do first is get everything cleaned out good. With a freshwater tank, there are some chemicals that could harm the your saltwater tank, like copper.

With the sump issue, there are easy ways of making your own sump out of a small fish tank, there are good videos on youtube for this. That way you get the space you need for a skimmer.

Now you also need to decide what kind of saltwater tank you want to keep, is this going to be a fish only, or are you planning on adding corals. Reason I ask this is because, the current light you have if its a florescent light you will need to change it. IMO Depending on what kind of tank you want will help determine what kind of light you will need.

I would like to say that right now in the beginning of your saltwater adventure, research is going to be your best friend. The more you learn about what you are doing the better off you will be. The club is always here to help, so don't be afraid to post any questions, and you can always PM me too.

Troy

3. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Mike,

Troy is right. Their are some dangers involved with using a formerly freshwater tank for saltwater. Copper based medicates are very common in the freshwater world and while copper won't have any negative effect on saltwater fish, it's highly toxic to all of the invertebrates that make salt tanks so interesting.

If you want to go salt, the first thing I'd recommend is to fill the tank up with RO/DI (filtered) water and let it set for a few days. After a few days have passed with the tank filled with water, get a copper test kit and test it to see if copper is leaching out of the silicone.

Hope that helps.

-JB

4. Mdemuth

Mdemuth Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the advice. From the research that i have done i think i want to start out with a fowlr set up. After i get the hang out that i might move on to corals. I plan on picking fish that are reef safe. Will the light i have currently work for this set up and then when i want to move to a reef set up i can upgrade the light then? I don't have a source of RO/DI water. Could i use distilled water? If so do i need to fill it all the way up to test for the copper? Where might i get a copper test? Sorry if my questions are basic but i am somewhat clueless.

5. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
  6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Mike,

No problem on the questions, that's club and website exists for this type of thing.

1) For a FOWLR tank, any light will do. It's only when you start to add corals, anemones, clams, etc. that you have to be concerned about light as those organisms depend on the light to live.

2) I'm not sure about the distilled water, but you can get RO/DI water from Pet's Playhouse in Cedar rapids. It's relatively inexpensive. You can use tap water as long as you use water conditioner to remove chlorine, etc, but most reefers will tell you that RO/DI is the way to go. Conditioned tap water can lead to a lot of bad problems with algae, cyanobacteria, etc. because of nasty stuff that it tends to contain.

3) Pet's Playhouse usually has copper test kits as well. I think they are about $10. If they don't have any, I have one that you could borrow. I've only used it once for this exact same thing.

-JB

7. Mdemuth

Mdemuth Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I will head over there tomorrow.