1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Good ways to get algea out of my sandbed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by champ23, Oct 27, 2008.

1. champ23

champ23 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have this darker brown algae growing on my sandbed, i got some snails to clean the back of my tank and the glass, even though its not that bad yet, but my sandbed got aglae covered 2 days.  I got a horseshoe crab, but he's just torn up my sandbed, any suggestions? I've heard sand sifting gobies and snails...

2. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    what you have is detrious. (sp)  It's common for new tanks, I still have some myself.  This is where pods work well.  I know you can buy some, but I've never talked to anyone about it.

3. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    What you have is the beginnings of cynobacteria, try increasing the flow making sure the temp stays closer to 76 and watch your water parameters

4. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, sounds like either diatoms or the start of cyanobacteria.......... diatoms are a nice brown color, the cyano will start to make almost a film of slimey looking redish-brown gunk over your sand bed where the flow is low. Like Glaspie said make sure your parameters are good and increase flow. If it's diatoms, which is common in a new tank, it will disappear as the tank stabilizes and parameters get to be where they should be.

5. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    syphoning it will remove it, but it will probably just come back if you dont take care of the source. Have you been using RO/DI water?

6. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Every new tank will go through this cycle. If you have good flow and good water parameters it will go over away with time. Using RODI water with 0 TDS is definitely gonna help keep algae blooms at bay.