1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Going to give the Apex Controller a big thumbs down

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bluefool, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Bluefool

Bluefool Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So, I spent over $800 on the controller, the connection cables, and the energy bars.  I've read the user guide that came with it, and the unoffical users guide. I've read hundred of hours on the Reef Central BBS.
    Right now, my opinion is that I was robbed.  Once Upon a time I built an AIM65 (a really old computer, you had to solder it together yourself).  That computer worked better than this Apex is.
    The list of problems is way long, but my biggest concern is that it is so buggy it is more of a danger to my tank than an advantage.
    Here's just one of many, many problems I've had with it:
    I create a virtual outlet with it so that if the Moon is up, the outlet is on.
    I have a left and a right return pump, and I want one to be on while the other is off, switching when the moon goes up or down.  I dropped dozens of hours checking and rechecking my programming.  I tested it...it wouldn't work.  The virtual outlet would show that it was on, and it would show one of the return pumps as on....when it was in fact off.  I set it to manual on, and on it came.  So, the return pump *says* its on, but really isn't...unless you manually force it.
    That's the sort of bug that renders it pretty much useless, and unreliable.  And yeah, I left it sit for hours, rebooted it, plugged other items into it and tested.....
    And that's one of......perhaps a dozen? things that even tho I followed the letter of the manual, still does not in fact work.
    IMHO, this thing is not ready for sale, and think hard before you trust it.
    Oh yeah, I asked multiple questions in the user forums for it....and finally got an answer of "it can't do that" to every question I asked.
    Don't waste your money on this POS.  I'm going to go and get a few timed outlet strips, and I have a funny feeling they will work just fine.
    Your Mileage May Vary of course /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif.

2. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is it too late to return it? /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/blink.gif  Why did you buy one, good reviews?

3. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Have you contacted Neptune? There customer service is great and they will do everything they can to fix whatever may be wrong. At least that was my experience with them. Shaun

4. iaJim

iaJim Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    +1 on what Shawn said. It's not a big company and their rep will get right back to you. They're almost as good as Tunze when it comes to customer service. Go to the RC Neptune forum and ask your questions there.

5. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have heard mixed reviews on them also. The biggest thing though is they are always trying to make the product better with updates so maybe there is still some glitches. They won't know until you contact them. It is the same with cell phones now-a-days. I never get a fancy new phone when it first comes out because there is always a bunch of software updates that are needed before they get it right. I know the Apex has been out for a while so the time frame thing is no excuse but maybe they are still perfecting it. I know the ReefKeeper Elites had horrible reviews when they first came out and I have not heard so much negative about them recently so hopefully they got most of their problems fixed. For now I will stay with the AC3.

6. williamh

williamh

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Isnt the lunar cycle an intensity based program? Maybe the pumps trying to start with less then full power? Sorry I'm still learning  yet, Good Luck William

7. waterfowler

waterfowler

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    try setting it up to run off the outlet that runs your moon lights.
    Fall back ON
    Set ON
    If Outlet MOON = ON Then OFF
    Same
    Set OFF
    If Outlet MOON = ON Then ON
    I have to leave town right now. I wish I could be more help. I would just go at it from an other angle. Good Luck I will be happy to test some programs when I return if you want me to.

8. Bluefool

Bluefool Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, its been a part of the tank build for way too long to return it....and it would take hours upon hours to get all that wiring out and replaced, all while the careful planning I set up for that $800 brick fails, with the resulting loss of life in my tank. (admittedly small, its live rock and some blue/green chromis, but did I mention *$800* dollars????) At the moment, I'm calling it a $800 mistake.

And I did ask questions on the RC board.....which were not answered generally, and when they were it was an abrupt "it can't do that". The sort of things I asked would involve complicated math....like dividing by 2. (Sarcasm, just in case).

Since were talking about a device that is mostly if then else statements, we're talking about programming technology from the early 70's. For $800, I expect 40 year old technology to at least function....but the Apex will report an outlet on that is not. For $50, I would put up with that. For $800, its just insulting. And remember, it is the Apex itself reporting my outlets are on...when they are not. Even if my programming is the poo, it is still reporting the wrong information.

And I'm not doing funky programming, I gave up on that a long time ago. I'm talking simple "If outlet Moonup = on then on".....which will fail. (and endless combination's of syntax)

And, the intensity of the moonlight must be done through the 4 channels that are variable speed ports.....which I have my $600 worth of Tunze plugged into. No matter what program I input, what profile I use, they are either all the way on or all the way off. Gosh, am I happy I spent the extra bucks on controllable pumps. You have to use the aquaillumination system for the intensity to work at all....and I'm just using Icecap blue LEDS. And, I tried hundreds upon hundreds of combination's to try and alter that, including examples straight out of the Apex book....all in vain. (pump speed I mean) It *reports* it is changing speeds....but if you stick your hand in front of the pump, it is doing no such thing.

And, attempts to contact customer support have met with utter failure.

I guess you need to come back to why you would buy a controller. For me it was so that I could automate various regular functions of my tank to ensure consistency. The Apex sounds great on paper, but my personal experience says it just flat out can't do that.

I did have the cycle working, for 4 days. Today, it just stopped functioning while reporting everything as fine. Pump checked, it functions, outlet checked, it functions.....just not the way that the manual says it will, or how the apex reports it is actually functioning.....and it worked for days, several cycles...but then barfed.

And, to make sure I've covered the bases, I have tried many, many different programs trying to get it to function....all in vain. Several cut and pasted out of the manual simply don't work.

I've dropped over 12 grand setting this tank up, so I figured 800 wasn't such a bad idea to help keep it safe. Money wasted.

Mostly, my beef is it can't do what a $15 timer can do.

9. iaJim

iaJim Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well that stinks.

10. Matt

Matt Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yea I have a Reef Keeper and the programming was really sstraight forward and seems to be really reliable and love it!

11. IrishStock

IrishStock Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    "Mostly, my beef is it can't do what a $15 timer can do. "
    My theroy is keep it simple but workable for the system running. I've never fallen for all the "do it all" systems....they just don't work or it seems to end up more work than you need/want to do. Sorry you had this experience. Maybe they won't help or maybe they will but you need to contact them.

12. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    That sucks. Most people seem to like it that I have heard. Hope you get it worked out.

13. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I'll trade you my ACIII for it.

14. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Posted By Waverz on 10/09/2010 12:18 PM
    I'll trade you my ACIII for it.
    +1, I will even buy new probes for it.

15. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    +1 on contacting Neptune. We had the opportunity to meet the owner Curt at MACNA. He indicated a strong desire to solve any issues with the Apex. He does most if not all the support and has always helped me when I needed it. Call him or post on their forum on RC.

16. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK...been busy and somehow missed this thread earlier this month so I'm bringing this old thread back to life.

I really can't believe what I'm reading...the Apex is an incredible device. Now, nothing is perfect, but I've found it to be very reliable and my only issues have been with my own code. That being said, I would strongly recommend that you check out the Neptune Systems vendor forum on Reef Central. It's a pretty active forum and there's lots of Apex geeks out there that will be willing to help you troubleshoot your code. I searched the forum on RC and I didn't see your post so I'm assuming that it's not one of the many forums that you've posted your issue on to date. It's located at http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=368 If you have not updated your firmware, I would recommend that you do so. The 4.03 is the current stable release (http://www.neptunesys.com/apex_4_03.zip) and the 4.04 is in beta release now (http://www.neptunesys.com/apex_4_04.zip). Now, I've not tried to do the scenario above that you're mentioning, but I've found it to be incredible flexible and reliable. I hope you give it another shot before you give up on it...it's a *great* piece of gear.

--AJ

17. Bluefool

Bluefool Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was *wondering* when you would speak up! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/wink.gif

I'm bluefool on RC too; use that as a search. It was a long time ago, so they may be way back.

I'm slowly beating the thing into submission, but if the online community didn't exist, this thing is a brick. And I'm sorry AJ, but its 2010....and we are typing if then else statements? Heck, my free phone with service has all graphically based set up.

I can't wait to see ya at Fall Fest to discuss it /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif. Maybe we should try to get everybody in the club using an Apex together at once and compare tricks?

18. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I hear ya on the programming stuff. I wish that there was a GUI on it too. I could do with one less thing to learn and troubleshoot. Let's talk at Fall Fest...I'll have an Internet enabled laptop with me and we can connect into my Apex and you can see what's configured. My next project is to build a breakout box so I can get my WaterBug connected.

--AJ

19. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Huh, I thought the new Apex did have a GUI for programming now. Huh, guess I misunderstood. Maybe I should write one to add to ReefTrakker?