1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Going bare-bottom!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by adampottebaum, Nov 8, 2009.

1. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Just to clarify, I'm talking about the tank!
    I'm moving at the end of December and found a guy in Omaha wanting to downsize from his 125, so I'll be trading my 72 gallon and other things for his 125.
    In my tank now I have about a 4" sand bed and I'm tired of killing corals from random accidents having to do with the sand! Off the top of my head some of them are: a powerhead came loose and blew sand that covered about 5 ricordeas a few months ago, my midas blenny keeps picking up sand and spitting it up in the air over my corals causing them to receed, my diamond goby keeps digging around corals in sand causing them to tip, my lawnmower blenny swims in the sand and kicked a bunch up on some frogspawn and killed like 3 heads last week.
    *EDIT* : Any ways, the tank is 72" long by 18" deep by 24" tall and has corner overflows.
    1. What's the best material to use on the bottom? Clear acrylic? Black Acrylic? Cutting board(where do I even find this?)?
    2. Thickness(how thin can I go)?
    3. How many separate pieces should I cut? 2? 3?
    4. Anyone know the exact inside dimensions of a standard 125 gallon? This guy can measure after it's empty but I would like the exact measurement sooner.
    5. What's the best way to go at this? Cardboard template?
    6. Anyone done this with corner overflows?
    7. Anyone have any extra black/clear acrylic/cutting board to do this?
    8. For sealing, just use 100% silicone right? If i use clear acrylic, will it look funny if I put silicone underneath in the middle as well as around the edges?
    9. Anyone have any leftover black silicone if I get black pieces?
    10. Any tips?
    That should be enough questions for now!

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For my 90, I had Rick cut me a piece of acrylic.  I think I used 1/4"  I used black acrylic and it turned out fine.  When measuring the size, leave 1/2 inch gap on all sides to account for the silicone that's there.  You may even want to go more.  I used black silicone.  One thing I learned the hard way was related to the overflow.  Don't rely on them being square.  I took my measurements from the top.  As it turns out, the overflow leaned to one side very slightly, so the top measurements didn't align with the bottom measurements.  A cardboard template worked out well for me.  The overflow shape was cut perfectly due to my template, I just had to shave all of the other edges because I tried to make it fit too well and not allow enough of a gap for the existing silicone.  I think corner overflows would be easier than back overflows.   If I had to do it over again, I would do two pieces, get one piece fit just right, then you could make the second piece and trim it according to how the first piece fit.
    I have some black silicone that I can sell you if you're interested....extra from an order that I placed.  It's All-Glass brand in 3 oz tubes.  I had a *very* difficult time finding reef safe black silicone, so I used All-Glass brand to be sure that it was safe.
    --AJ

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Make sure you put the sand in your refugium. It really helps keep your PH stable.

You can get the starboard at regal plastics in evansdale. I get a pretty good discount so get me the measurments & I will get you a price.

4. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Yea I plan on building a huge refugium out of a 20 or 29 gallon tank, not sure which one I'll use. I plan on using the other for a frag tank. I want to get a 55 gallon and break one end and put in a new piece of glass so I can drill it for a sump.
    I'll get you the dimensions as soon as I can, thanks Craig!
    About how many pieces though...
    I was thinking about cutting out the center black braces and putting in acrylic pieces because I was thinking about going with two 400w halides and don't want to loose all that light. I'd glue them and put some plastic "bolts" to keep it secure. Should I go with one piece of starboard for it all to keep it nice and clean looking? Then I can just get a piece of cardboard cut as a template for one of the overflows and borrow my dad's jig-saw to cut the corners for the overflow.

5. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hey AJ, how much of the black silicone do you have left? I'd buy some as long as I'd have enough to make it once around the whole tank. PM me an offer and I can get it at FF. Thanks

6. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have 10 3 oz tubes, but I'm going to need to use some of them. I'll let you know how much extra I have.

--AJ

7. waterfowler

waterfowler

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Adam thats great your going to the 125g! Let me know if you need a hand.[​IMG]

8. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

I'll remember that! I'll need help getting the tank off my trailer into the basement of this place. That's all I'll need at the time, but I'll probably have some friends closer that could help me quick. Maybe my new roommates will help!

9. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone in the Waterloo/Cedar Falls area have a 100 gallon stock tank that I could borrow/buy in late December to hold my fish and corals until I get the new tank in place? It might be up to a week, depends how smoothly everything goes on putting the starboard in and getting it leveled.