1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

GIRS Mobile version?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Eric, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    While I realize it would probably take a lot of work without many people appreciating a mobile version of the forums, I can't find a place to login when I access from my Windows mobile device (WM5, default IE).
    The homepage, although much larger than my screen, doesn't have anything other than the join button...nothing in the top corner...is it Java?  Anyone access this from a blackberry?  I do have Skyfire but the browser bugs me.  Most forums have a different login interface and I don't have issues with them.
    Any ideas?  I'm spending a lot of time with it as I can access the internet from anywhere...even in the library...[​IMG]
    -Eric

2. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have accessed and logged in to my account from my girlfriend's blackberry and my iPhone just fine. I am not, however, able to post on the iphone. The keyboard doesn;t come up like normal when I "tap" inside the text box.

3. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You can post on your iphone, you just cant PM. I have iphone also and post all the time and browse the site daily. I can log in, start threads, post, recieve pm but cant reply to pm which changed last time the did some changes to the site and changed the pm feature to the way it is now. I use to pm from my iphone daily. The box comes up in PM but like you said when you tap it, it wont allow text in the box for some reason.

On a side note Bela if you havnt went to itunes and put the new 3.0 software on ur iphone do it TODAY! Its sweet! You Can text sideways finally and it adds a new voice reminder app, new search screen from the homepage, and a bunch of other little things I keep noticing. Bad azz dude make sure you have the newest software.

I got a text the other day telling me its ready for download so maybe you already have it too.

As far as GIRS mobile, I think it works well enuf on most phones that it wont create enuf interest to build the software or whatever is actually needed, and make it practical.

4. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

Tried a work around of e-mailing myself the login page, and while I can login and hit reply & compose message, I can't select/click the "submit" button so I essentially can't post from a WM5 device...don't know about WM6+.
    -Eric

5. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I use a Moto Q with WM6 andc an do everything but submit PM's.

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Sorry but ensuring that a site like this is 100% mobile friendly is just not practical. Mobile devices can be very finicky and it's therefore very time consuming work to make a site work well with them. Something that I (as a volunteer) have no interest in doing...

-JB

7. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jtesdall on 07/27/2009 11:32 AM
    I use a Moto Q with WM6 andc an do everything but submit PM's.
    Thanks!
    That's the simple answer I was looking for. 
    Now...is that a Q that is supposed to have WM6 or a WM5 device with a cooked rom?
    -Eric

8. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    No its the newer Q9c that comes with WM6. Although its my third one in 6 months and the screen is going out again. So I think I will be suggesting to Verizon to get me something else. Other than the screen it has been a great unit.

9. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    While the 9C was an option for me, let's just say that i got a "special deal" on the phone and the service [​IMG]
    I think there are several reasons that WM6+ is better than WM5 but there are free browsers that I will continue to play with to see if i can get on GIRS...as I mentioned, I can with Skyfire but I don't like having to zoom all the time.
    I'll give Opera a try.
    -Eric

10. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    So...am able to post using Opera Mini....wasn't designed for WM5 but I am making it work.
    -Eric