1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

GIRS March Photo Contest.

Discussion in 'Contests' started by einsteins, Feb 29, 2008.

1. gm333

gm333 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    With all the excitement its too bad I am not a memeber.  I like a good tuff pic contest.

2. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We are down to the last few days for entries into the photo contest.
    Entries will not be accepted after midnight on Friday, so get those pics polished up and get them entered!

Voting will start right after the entry deadline has passed so even if you didnt enter a photo, you can still stop by the contest and check out which photos you want to vote for.
    Lets have a big turnout for voting and show support everyone who entered.
    Remember.....You can vote for as many photos as you like but you can only vote for any one photo once!

3. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Got my entries submitted! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

4. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Some how my web messed up and I got an error on my first and reentered it.[​IMG]  It's a good one though.  Here are a couple that didn't make it

5. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK...I am confused. I was under the impression that entries were going to be accepted until Friday...but seems the entry period has ended. I have 2 photos I wanted to enter but there is nowhere to enter then and the top of the contect page says Entry period has ended...

So am I SOL?

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I had a third to enter as well. I'm sure Bill will sort this out, the announcement on the home page says midnight on Friday (not sure if that's tonight or tomorrow night, anyway)

7. ZLTFUL

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sure hope so. Not like I expected to win but I shot about 100 pics of my newest addition and pulled one decent one that I wanted to show off.

8. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I read it as ending Friday night also so I'm not sure what is up. 

9. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I think Bill might have gotten his dates mixed up, if you go to contest details it tells you all the details of the contest, including the dates of entry and voting.  . I can't say for certain on this but I think if you didn't get your pics in by the deadline as stated in the contest rules you might be out of luck as the voting has already begun. I'm sure Bill will chime in here on this matter.

10. ZLTFUL

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well that seriously sucks. I was waiting for my new coral and due to timing was thinking boy, I should have plenty of time Thursday evening to get my pics posted up.

11. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was planning on getting a couple more posted also and thought that the deadline was midnight tonight also.  Sorry that you weren't able to enter Z!

12. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I thought the deadline was midnight tonight as well.

In the future it may be a good idea to end these items on a time that can not be mis-interpreted.
    I was not thinking technically midnight is the stroke of the start of a new day (so this would have been 12:00am this morning) [​IMG].
    However, if it would have closed say at 11:59 PM March 20, 2008 there would probably be less confusion on contest in the future.
    Those who are here right now will remember this in the future, however, this could happen again to new members for future events. 
    Just a thought.
    Bye Bye $50.00 [​IMG]

13. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

On the home page, under information on the Photo contest it says
    "Entries will not be accepted after midnight on Friday, so get those pics polished up and get them entered. "
      Maybe that's why we are confused?

14. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yes that is exactly why, but if you look at the contest details is says:
    [table]

Contest:
    GIRS March Photo Contest

Dates:
    Entry From 3/1/2008 to 3/19/2008
    Voting From 3/20/2008 to 3/29/2008

[/table]
    I'm pretty sure Bill just got his dates messed up when posting the news post.
    I'm sorry you guys couldn't get all of you entries in, that does suck, but i really don't think it would be a good idea to bend the rules, or change dates on this kind of stuff as it could only lead to more arguments down the road.   Like I said, I am only speaking for myself as i see it, fact of the matter is, Bill is running this contest so it will be up to him what he wants to do about it.
    I wouldn't feel too bad Jeremy by the looks of your pictures in the photo forum, you will be winning plenty of photo contests in the future.
    Once again sorry about that.
    Jeremy

15. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think he did mis-type about Friday, but at least in 2 other spots, it says the 19th is the last day to enter.  Under the contest details it says the 19th is the last day to enter.......

16. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There are lots of really great pictures in the contest, good thing you can vote for more than one!

17. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry everyone.....I have been out of town and didnt know of this problem....

When setting up the contest I misunderstood the dates and how they work....
    I have readjusted the photo entry time so that it should end entries at midnight on Friday...I went with this date based on my last reminder....
    VOting should start at midnight friday as soon as entries end...

Please!.... before all of you send out the lynching mob with torches and pitch forks keep in mind this is the first time I have used the software and it has been a learning experience for me also.
    I hope all of you will forgive me...I should have been more thorough when setting this up....I thought I had it right. I take full responsibility and I sincerely hope my mistake has not ruined this experience for any of you.
    Get those additional photos entered asap so we dont have any more problems...

Again I apologize!!!

eins

18. ZLTFUL

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bill, yer 12 lashes before the mast shall begin promptly at high noon. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

Other than that, all is now well with the world. Thanks!!

19. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By einsteins on 03/20/2008 5:25 PM
    Sorry everyone.....I have been out of town and didnt know of this problem....
    When setting up the contest I misunderstood the dates and how they work....
    I have readjusted the photo entry time so that it should end entries at midnight on Friday...I went with this date based on my last reminder....
    VOting should start at midnight friday as soon as entries end...
    Please!.... before all of you send out the lynching mob with torches and pitch forks keep in mind this is the first time I have used the software and it has been a learning experience for me also.
    I hope all of you will forgive me...I should have been more thorough when setting this up....I thought I had it right. I take full responsibility and I sincerely hope my mistake has not ruined this experience for any of you.
    Get those additional photos entered asap so we dont have any more problems...
    Again I apologize!!!
    eins
    No problem at all eins, and waverz I agree that rules should not be broken.
    I remembered seeing 12 midnight on either the contest rules post or the homepage and thought that is where the confusion may have come from.
    I still think that may be a bad time cutoff because as I said I am unsure (beleive it or not) when that actually occurs.  Does the new day begin at 12:01AM or 12:00AM; is midnight (12AM) on March 21st in 2 hours or 26 hours.
    Anyway thanks einstein, I am sure some of the fellow GIRS members will appreciate the time to get those award winning photos posted.
    In fact I am not even sure I will be entering any photos for this contest(might try to snap a few tomorrow). 
    While making my new sump/fuge I decided in hast to run my hand through the table router [​IMG] .  I know, I know, but in my defense the dude running his had through the table router in the brouchure with the hot model and 1/2 million dollar sports car was quite appealing.
    Which is why I have not entered any photos already, hand has been quite painful. 
    With trying to complete a little on the sump/fuge every night to get the project done. 
    Just have not been up to doing camera work.
    Jeremy

20. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No problem at all eins, and waverz I agree that rules should not be broken.
    I remembered seeing 12 midnight on either the contest rules post or the homepage and thought that is where the confusion may have come from.
    I still think that may be a bad time cutoff because as I said I am unsure (beleive it or not) when that actually occurs. Does the new day begin at 12:01AM or 12:00AM; is midnight (12AM) on March 21st in 2 hours or 26 hours.

Jeremy

I hate time on the 24 hour scale but that is why the military uses it.