1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Gfo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nick, Jun 23, 2016.

1. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Is everyone still using bulk reef supply for their gfo and sodium bicarbonate

2. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    I get GFO off ebay in 25 lb boxes. It is quite a bit cheaper than BRS. I do get mag, calcium and kalk from BRS though.

3. I am but I have to honest I am growing frustrated with the GFO as it seems to bind up so easily from BRS. Maybe it's me but I've tried several different reactors and flow rates and it seems to just turn into a block within a matter of days.
    Becoming more of a pain than its worth.
    May be worth checking out that EBAY option....

4. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    Is the bulk stuff on eBay the high capacity stuff. Does it have much dust?

5. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    Could be worth looking into a scrubber then doing away with gfo. My fuge is big enough to export the phosphates from my tank. So I very rarely have run gfo.

6. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    Not high capacity but seems to be the same as BRS to me. Have used it for a couple of years now.

7. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I have always used BRS GFO in a BRS reactor. Never any problems here.

8. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    I use the BRS High Cap GFO and mix it with Rox 0.8 carbon so I don't have to worry about tumbling it not enough or too much - mix one part GFO w 2 parts carbon. Even using only about 20% of the recommended amount, my phosphates are undetectable and I was having trouble getting enough bio action out of pellets or getting macro to grow and I was having higher than desired nitrates. (takes some phosphates to get any kind of denitrifying activity to occur) so even though the GFO solved the initial hair algae issue I was having. I am currently weaning my system off of GFO and now have some good growth out of some macro.

9. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    I am but I use backed baking soda for my alk.