1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

GFO Reactors - Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PotRoast, Nov 24, 2009.

1. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I have a few GFO reactors. The prob is I don't know how much GFO to use. JJ told me to use just a couple inches of substrate. I also bought a GFO reactor from BRS last year and the online instructions reflected what JJ recommended. I recently bought a couple Two Little fishies 150 reactors. Those instructions indicate to use a lot more substrate than I had been advised.

Now, further reading indicates you need a x amount of GFO for X amount of water. In my case this would be much more (cups more) than the 2" I have been advised on.

What do you guys think?

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It seems to me like you already have an amount that you use that's working for you. If it's getting the job done and not causing anything bad to happen, I would go with what works. Are you seeing nuisance algae or a phosphate issue? If you're still using the same product, I wouldn't change the amount that you're using.

Also, not all phosphate reducer products are the same. Some are mixed with carbon and other stuff and require that you use more. If you do decide to change the phosphate reducer product that you use, go back to the vendors recommendation based on your water volume. With BRS, they have different granule sizes and that may matter too. I've heard that if you use way too much, you can do bad things to your tank. One guy (that I know of) on NanoReefs blames a tank crash that he had on using an excess amount of GFO. Maybe right, maybe not...but it certainly makes me thing twice about varying significantly from the vendor guidelines.

Long story short, if you have a amount that's proven to be working for you, stick with it. Best case scenario, you're using less than the vendor recommended amount but still getting the job done. You're saving money on product. Worst case scenario, you don't get all the phosphates out, you grow a little algae, and re-evaluate the amount that you're using and increase it a bit.

Just my two cents.

--AJ

3. PotRoast

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I wish I knew if I have a phosphate problem.....that is part of the equation as well.

I do get algae on the glass on almost a daily basis. If I wait three days it is very very prominent. You can almost see little filaments forming on the glass. I also have hair algae that the tangs take care of, but in the overflow it grows thick. I can pull a couple dollar coin sized coins out of it every few weeks.

My phosphates read ZERO. Although it may be zero, there seems to be enough to support glass algae and overflow hair algae.

The white lights are on for 8 hours a day, the blue on 12 hours a day. I use RO water but no DI.

Do you guys think I have a problem or is this normal?

4. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, test kits can only go so far when it comes to phosphates because the nuisance algae gobbles it up. Based on the product that you're using, how much does it recommend that you should be using for your water volume and how does that compare to how much you're using? If you're using less than the recommended amount, increase it and see if it makes a difference. Try to find a way that you can benchmark things For example, clean out your overflow and watch to see how much grows in two weeks using your current amount. Then increase that amount and repeat the process. If you're getting less growth and everything in your tank is still doing good, you may even want to try again and increase a little more.

What are you growing for macro in your sump?

--AJ

5. PotRoast

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Well. I have heard if you use too much GFO then it clumps up into a huge caked mess. That is why I have used only 2" or so. However, from what I am reading I need to fill up both reactors almost all the way with GFO. I guess I am wondering what people out there with GFO reactors use in terms of amount of media? When one person says use only 2" and then another says you need at least five times that....well, that is why I am confused.

I guess I will simply try 'more gfo' and see what happens. But I still will take any suggestions out there.

Waverz...how much GFO did you use in the reactors you sold me? I know you used to have a big tank like me.....

6. PotRoast

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I use cheato and a nitrate reactor in my sump.

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Speaking of nitrate reactor...which one do you use and have you been happy with it?

--AJ

8. PotRoast

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I use mw aquatic (the big one). I bought it because I had traces of nitrate readings all the time, and I want zero readings. I now have zero readings, that is for sure. note: I am hearing Calfo says to have some nitrates. I don't believe him, and so I guess I am glad I have the reactor. (I love zero nitrates)

Looking back the money spent on the NRx should have gone towards a second skimmer. But I am happy with the NRx for sure. Very happy.

The only problem I have had so far is that if you take it offline for even an hour the gunk inside starts dying off and you get the sulfer smell and that is not good. I had an issue once where the tubing fell out and the siphon stopped. Another time I cleaned the sump and left the reactor sitting for 24 hours. That killed the culture and I had to start over. Finally, it has wing nut thumbnail screws or whatever and those suck bigtime. I mean, come on.

9. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've heard good things about those reactors. Thanks for sharing your experiences with it.

--AJ

10. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I put two times the monthy dose so I only have to change it every other month. Never been a problem.

11. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    i will second the mw sulfer denitrators i also have the xl on my 450+ gal system and it works perfectly. I plan on making a sulfer denitrator for my brother for xmas i am just going to use the bulk reef dual phos reactor and fill the first chamber with sulfer pellets and the second chamber with calcium media and then down size the input and output lines to 1/4 inch and hook a aqua lifter to the input and a 1/4 needle valve on the out put to control flow rate it won't have a circulation pump tlike the midwest aquatics does but my brothers tank is only 40 gallons so it should be fine

12. jd

jd

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    recommended dose is 1 gram per gallon.  the TLF 150 holds 150 g, and is therefore rated for a 150 gallon tank.  the top of the media should be gently tumbling (hence the term 'fluidized reactor') to keep from clumping.