1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Gfo or biopellets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jayt, Apr 12, 2016.

1. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    What are you going to use? The spectracide? I used the Flourish Nitrogen. Worked great. It's a fresh water planted tank additive.
    Got mine 4ppm and it holds there after I got it there. Took me a few weeks but works good and colors improved.

2. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    The sea Chem flourish was the first thing mentioned in the thread. But later brightwell aquatics neonitro was mentioned. I'm going to try that as I can get it from brs. My biggest problem as usual is I'm not home every day to test and dose. What all in your tank, I have some sps but am shooting for lps and softies. Don't want nitrate levels to kill anything.

3. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    The tank I dosed is all sps. After I reached desired level I can keep it there with heavy feedings.
    I could have probably got to desired levels in a couple days I just took my time.
    I just used flourish because I could get it at local fish store.

4. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Are you strictly dosing then or do you still run gfo in conjunction? Do you do vodka or anything besides?

5. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I run a large skimmer, a turbo l2 rev3 algae scrubber, small amounts of gfo and carbon. I do daily auto water changes of 3 gallons with Neptune DOS. I dose BRS 2 part. No vodka or vinegar. After my initial dosing of flourish I haven't had to dose. I just feed a few more times a day and nitrates hold at 4ppm. That's what I was shooting for. Anywhere from 2 to 5ppm.
    I am slowly taking my gfo offline. My scrubber would probably produce more if I did but I don't want a tank of brown acroporas so slowly I will get there.
    I have another 120 gallon tank full of LPS and only filtration on that is skimmer and rock, 2 inch sand, and refugium and works just fine with weekly water changes. No additives only 2 part for alkalinity and calcium and magnesium uptake. I went with simple on this system.

6. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the information sir. I'll have to get some stuff coming and try to post results if I remember.

7. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Was able to get nitrates up to 1ppm last week before I left for work. Come home to find a huge algea bloom on the glass of my fuge, phosphates dropped from .14 to .05 and nitrates showed 0. Have slowly been trying to get nitrates back up but the 250 ml bottle I bought is 3/4 gone. Working with rough 330 twv.

8. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Well bottle is empty, another on the way. Nitrates back down to 0. What could be using up the nitrates so fast?

9. Kungpaoshizi Well-Known ReefKeeper

davenport
    Ratings:
    +39 / 1 / -0
    Do you have a dsb, scrubber, barebottom? The only other stuff you use is gfo?

10. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Sand bed might be an inch thick, one of turbos small scrubbers, but just starting it. Enough gfo to half of my water volume.

11. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    When I dosed nitrates my system was processing it pretty fast. Then I must have hit the sweet spot for my tank at 4ppm.
    I just feed my tank a little more and I haven't had to dose for about 2 months now.
    I feed 1 frozen cube at night and my auto feeder does 1 rotation at 3 and 7 pm, pellets. No other foods added.
    I am slowly taking go reactor off line. Only running about half a cup changed every 5 or 6 weeks. I need to just shut it down and let my algae scrubber work a little harder, but with a tank full of finicky sps I am going slow.

You may have to dose several times a day to get nitrate where you want it. And maybe feed a bit more and try adding some amino acids once or twice a week.

12. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I current uses and auto feeder, twice a day and 2 cubes once a week. Not many fish in the system yet. I'm slowly working on reducing gfo. Already used a full 250 ml bottle of neonitro. Guess I'll keep going.

13. Kungpaoshizi Well-Known ReefKeeper

davenport
    Ratings:
    +39 / 1 / -0
    Ahh, I was wondering if you were barebottom... Could always just add more sand. (and stop siphoning)
    This is what I do when I setup any tank. Utilizing the sand as a nitrate factory. 3-4" should do it. But I do carbon dose, not sure how an ATS will take that load..

14. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I only have 100 lbs covering 14 Sq' and have never vacuumed it since setup a couple months ago. I have been dosing vodka on the weekends when I'm home but was doing nothing. Guess I'll try adding more sand in the future. Had made several changes lately. Hard to keep track of what's doing what to the system.

15. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I would not add any more sand. Leave it be. Do 1 thing at a time. Or you could end up with a big problem.
    If your gonna carbon dose do that but should be setup to do daily.

16. Kungpaoshizi Well-Known ReefKeeper

davenport
    Ratings:
    +39 / 1 / -0
    I will say until I dosed hourly there was always irregular glass growth here and there every week to week. Or at least it seemed to me I was doing the same doses at this time each day or other, but would sometimes result in a light dusting of algae on the glass and then other days, nothing.