1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Getting out in Des Moines

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Guest, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Title's really not true, I've been out for a while save for a nano at work.  I would like to part ways with most of the stuff that I've collected.  Have tried to provide details to the best of my memory.  All of this stuff is being stored near Marshalltown as I don't have room here in town, but can get it here in a few days.  All prices are negotiable, I'm not sure what this stuff is worth any more. 
    2x400w 2x110 light fixture.  This was handmade by myself.  The housing is insulated aluminum with reflector, one 92mm fan at each end.  The VHO ballast is practically new, used for a month or two when I lived in Ames.  Metal halides are 20k Hamiltons and have seen 3-4 months of use.  Ballasts were both replaced with brand new units last time I changed bulbs and are in an aluminum heatsink style enclosure.  I drilled holes for and mounted a cooling fan in the ballast box as well.  Here's a pic of it hanging above my old 90 - pardon the offkilter cables, it was hard finding a joist in that place.  $350
    http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n287/ryansholl/DSC00964.jpg
    Ecocube 55 watt fluorescent 50/50 pendant for a nano tank.  Nice looking thing, just decided to go with a metal halide on my nano early on.  It's in perfect condition, just dusty from storage.  This also maybe saw two months' use.  $50
    http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n287/ryansholl/DSC01534.jpg
    Two breeder tanks.  Glass is scratched on both.  I replaced the silicon in both and they haven't seen water since.  Footprint 18x36 inches, I believe one is 10" tall, the other 12".  $20 each.
    http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n287/ryansholl/corntz100.jpg
    55.  Not bad shape, on sturdy but crappy looking doubled up 2x4 stand.  $35
    http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n287/ryansholl/DSC01535.jpg
    Lumenbrite reflector.  Came from JJ.  Great shape, I paid $40, I ask $40
    Also in picture - brand new - it got turned on once to make sure it worked - double ended 250w XM 20k with brand new ARO ballast in a mini reflector. $90
    http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n287/ryansholl/DSC01546sm.jpg
    Big *** sump.  6' long, 2'wide, I think 12" tall.  This has floated through the club over the years, I think.  It is partitioned, acrylic, built like a tank, and drilled multiple times (I think all the bulkheads are there and plugged).  Could be used as large refugium, large frag tank, or large sump.  Last guy used it for all three.  I bought it for $50, I think that's more than fair.
    http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n287/ryansholl/DSC01550sm.jpg
    http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n287/ryansholl/DSC01551sm.jpg
    http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n287/ryansholl/DSC01552sm.jpg
    Not pictured, but this one actually is in Johnston:  14 gal biocube with matching stand, all in good shape but the light sometimes won't turn on so the wiring needs looked at or, probably a better idea, upgraded.  Nice little tank.  $80
    I also have at least a hundred pounds of dry rock to part with, it will be for sale later as I'm going to sort through and keep at least 200 lbs first in case I ever get back into it. 
    Any questions, post away, or I can be reached evenings at 641-485-0817.

2. crony333

crony333 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Interested in the 55 + some rock. Pmed

3. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I want that Lumen Brite!

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Crap! You can tell from the picture I'm sure, but it's a lumen max, not a lumen brite. I think you bought the other one too, though, so you probably already know. Still want it?

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The biocube and 55 are spoken for.

I have three amendments to my list that I forgot about. As you can see in the picture, I have two identical 250w metal halide setups. One is brand new, the other has roughly 4 months' use.

I also have at least two brand new, in the box, Mag 5s. $15 each and they're yours.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Still available:
    Metal halide light fixture
    Nano pendant
    Shallow breeder tank
    Shallower breeder tank
    Sump
    250w metal halide setup
    250w metal halide setup
    Mag 5
    Spoken for:
    Biocube w/stand - have an offer but full price will take it
    1 New mag 5
    Lumenmax reflector is pending above reply

7. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think I am interested in the sump, but I am having trouble visualizing it. It looks really shallow? Is that accurate? You also mentioned it was partitioned but the pic doesn't really show that (or I guess it could be me being blind LOL). Also interested in the dry rock depending on price/look. How much in total do you have?

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it is shallow. As I stated it is 6 feet long, 2 feet wide, and 12-15 inches tall. In the third picture you can see overflow teeth, this wall separates roughly 1/3 of the sump.

I am headed to Marshalltown tonight to pick some of this stuff up. I will get some better pictures as well. I may also pick out the rock I'm selling and get photos of that as well.

9. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +614 / 2 / -0
    I'll take one of the mag 5's.  PM'd

10. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I will take one of the Mag 5s and maybe interested in one of the 250 MH setups. Any chance you can get some better pics of them.

11. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So on the sump it is just two compartments total, separated by one piece of acrylic?

12. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if dave dont take that reflector i will

13. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    go for it chris, ill prob just look at it! lol

14. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i'll take that reflector then :)

15. LuisReyes

LuisReyes Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Was wondering if you had any of the rock left? Thanks Luis

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By musty baby on 09/10/2009 08:49 AM
    Still available:
    2x400 Metal halide 2x110 VHO light fixture
    Nano pendant
    Shallow breeder tank
    Shallower breeder tank
    Sump
    250w metal halide setup
    Spoken for:
    250w metal halide setup
    lumenmax reflector
    Biocube w/stand
    Both new mag 5s
    I haven't yet sorted through the rock.  When I get the chance I'll do so, get some pictures, and let everyone know.  Total I probably have 350 pounds or so, mostly large pieces.

17. saltwaternewbee

saltwaternewbee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Aw gee Dave you get all the good deals...try and save some for the rest of us

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, so if anyone is still interested these remain:
    2x400 Metal halide 2x110 VHO light fixture - almost every part of it is fairly new, you could chop it and use the parts
    Nano pendant
    Shallow breeder tank
    Shallower breeder tank
    Sump
    250w metal halide setup
    250w metal halide setup
    Biocube w/stand
    Despite supposed interest not too much has left yet.  And again, I will consider any offers.

19. marc111

marc111

Ratings:
    +1 / 1 / -0
    Is any of the rock still available?  I would be interested in up to 100 lbs or so.
    Thanks,
    Mark

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mark,

I think I've decided to keep my rock until I'm 100% certain I'll never get back into it. I'd rather have it taking up space for 10 years than effectively give it away only to buy it again later.

Thanks for the interest.