1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

GEars of War 2 Comes out tonight!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Travis, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anyone else a big Gears fan?

2. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Havent played the first one but awfully tempting to get it so I can get Gears 2. I am more of a PS3 person but I got a 360 for there exclusives.

3. Monkey Man Zero

Monkey Man Zero Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll be playing tonight! Picking up my copy and free RC tank from Best Buy at 12:00!

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have the first one rented right now and so far I'm not all that impressed. Not sure what all the hype is about.

5. champ23

champ23 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Pre ordered it, picking it up tonight! I've been playin the first one to get switched back from call of duty to GOW.

6. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I gotta agree with JB on this one. Got it at home and played it twice. When comparing it to Halo 3, the GOW graphics are about the same, the playability is not as good and I didn't care for the excessive blood. Don't get me wrong, you expect to see that in a shooter, but I thought they went over the top. I know it's a tremendously popular game so there must be a lot of people that have a much more positive opinion of the game than I do.

If there is anyone that likes this game but does not own it, I'll sell my copy for $20. It's in new condition with case and book. This still sells for $40 new.

If I had money to spend on games right now, I think I would be waiting for the new Rock Band 2 Drums and Guitar. I already have the game and they have not made a lot of changes in that, but the new instruments look sweet. You can get the raised cymbals for the drums and the new paint on the guitar looks really cool. That's where my next game money is going. Oh, and I love how you can play all the Rock Band 1 songs and downloadable content in Rock Band 2. Very nice.

--AJ

7. Gered

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Might have to hit you up on the GOW AJ. Not right this moment though because I have to spend some money on the tank.

8. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I am one of the nuts that think Gears 1 was amazing. The graphics IMO make Halo 3 look cartoonish. The gore is over the top, but that was the point. The gore can be turned off as can the swearing. Gears 2 is definatly going to have to raise the bar for online play though to beat Call of Duty 4. That game is amazing. I definately believe there are some people that love FPS games and others that are more geared toward RPG or RTS games that just don't understand how anyone could tolerate a game that requires little thought or strategy. The way I got addicted to FPS was Xbox Live, the games take on a whole new playability when you are playing against real opponents that can correctly respond to everything you do. You also get the benefit of creating teams and friendships online, there is also the rivalry factor and smack talking... /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

9. Gered

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    It is going to take a lot to beat CoD4 online but who knows could happen. I am really pumped for CoD5. I have mine reserved for my PS3 already. Got to love the free online play! I hope Microsoft figures out they dont need to charge so much for online or nothing at all.

10. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is the PS3 online equal to Xbox Live? I have never seen a PS3 in action. I know I definately feel like I get my money's worth out of LIVE, but have always wondered how the free services stack up. Heck it would only take a few years of LIVE membership fees to pay for a PS3 or I could get one new game a year for the same price...

11. Monkey Man Zero

Monkey Man Zero Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The PS3 pales in comparison. I own both and in terms of online Xbox live is far superior. PS3 wireless connectivity is extremely slow for updates as well and they come out all the time.
    When game servers are up, the PS3 does OK, but Xbox has a community feel, hardly anyone on PS3 servers even have a headset.
    The only game so far that, given a choice, I would choose on PS3 has been "Mirrors Edge". The controls just work better.

12. Gered

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I would have to disagree with you. PS3 network has always worked fine for me. My downloads take forever because the fact everyone around us rips off our wireless connection and they took forever with the Xbox also. It took a while for sony to get there store and everything setup but now that it has gone through some changes to be honest it makes xbox live feel clumsy. It may be slightly faster with speeds at times but its not worth paying for it. Free online, free wireless...cant beat that when you get pretty much the same service. And the lack of headsets will change with the release of the Official Bluetooth headseat. Everyone on live has headsets because they give them away with that expensive subscription you can buy at the store. Hands down sony for the win! And I own all 3 consoles so there is no bias. I love my Wii and my 360 just the same but PS3 has got more love from me because it has showed it back.

13. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Travis,
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to insult your taste, just giving my preference.  I know lots of people that really like that game.  Maybe it's my crappy TV.  /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

14. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By apjohnson on 11/06/2008 09:02 PM
    Hey Travis,
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to insult your taste, just giving my preference.  I know lots of people that really like that game.  Maybe it's my crappy TV.  /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif
    No offense taken.  I was just pointing out a trend in the gaming market.   
    As for Gears 2.  If you are a First Person SHooter fan it is a GREAT game.  Not quite a Call of Duty 4, but it is unique and extremely fun in its own right.  The new team games where you can play with up to 5 of your friends is great.  The online matchmaking is much better, but still not on par with Halo or Call of Duty.  The graphics are amazing and the 2 player Storyline is a blast with your best friend!!!  Well worth the money IMO, but night and day different from the original Gears game.

15. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I think Aaron might fall into the category of "First Person Shooter" fan. He used to be the President of CaRnAGGe, the largest monthly LAN party in Iowa and we we're known to play a round or two of FPS games during those!

-JB

16. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Man, how do you guys play those FPS games on consoles? It seems so clumsy with a controller. When I tried halo once on a cousin's xbox I got beat down pretty good even with the autoaim the game has. The PC mouse gives so much more freedom of movement to aim with your weapon. I don't play much anymore but once in awhile I'll play a game on the PC called Combat Arms. It's free to download and play and it's a modern military combat fps game. You can go to their website and see your total kills, KDR , hit percentage with each weapon, headshot percentage etc. Pretty good for free and it runs on my 6 year old computer. Any of you guys play PC stuff?

Chris

17. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I finished Gears of War (the first one) the other night and I've gotta say that once I got into it I liked it a lot better. It took a while to get used to the fact that you can't do a few things common to FPS games (like jumping) but you can do other cool stuff instead.

I'm thinking about picking up the second one.

-JB

18. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jbrunken on 11/21/2008 07:36 AM
    Ok, I finished Gears of War (the first one) the other night and I've gotta say that once I got into it I liked it a lot better. It took a while to get used to the fact that you can't do a few things common to FPS games (like jumping) but you can do other cool stuff instead.
    I'm thinking about picking up the second one.
    -JB
    I would suggest just renting it.  The online play is a little rough, but the story mode is excellent.  I am on my second trip through the campaign (story mode) right now.  You should be able to play through the whole game in under the 5 day rental period and save yourself $50...

19. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My girlfriend's brother brought his 360 over last weekend and the game was pretty awesome in 1080p with 5.1 surround /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif  I'm a computer gamer though, so playing a FPS on a console is a chore.  I like having instant aim control with a mouse...