1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Galaxy Coral problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by coral_bandit, Oct 31, 2009.

1. coral_bandit

coral_bandit Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Tissue recession, it's under 2 t-5ho's and 5 inches from light source

2. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    water quality?? flow?? what size of tank do you have again? seems 2 t5's may not be enough but thats just me and also depends on tank size

3. coral_bandit

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have it in the 55, and switched out a daylight for an extra actinic, think that would help. Water quality is pretty good, Nitrate o , nitrite o, 480 Ca+ too much calcium? gets used really fast, ammonia 0. Hoping to get a retrofit for the t-5s and add 2 extra bulbs. Would more actinic help you think? I moved it up as high as stability would allow.

4. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    need to know water params and what r u feeding it.

5. coral_bandit

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    feeding bbs, phytoplankton, and small chunks of krill about 1/8 inch-1/16
    Nitrate o , nitrite o, 480 Ca+ too much calcium? gets used really fast, ammonia 0
    moderate flow

6. nick

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    alk? ph? when did you get him? fish in the tank?

7. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    but still 2 bulbs on a 55g tank? i think that is pretty low lighting IMO its a medium to high lighting requirement coral. I think its your lighting, definately need more than the 2 54w T5's on it

8. coral_bandit

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    alk 7, and have Tang and Damsel. Getting the retrofits this week.

9. coral_bandit

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    8.3 ph, would doubling up the actinic help? BTW what's the importance of a daylight 10,000k. I have it under the double actinic and it's lookin a bit better under those. Polyps are all the way expanded.

10. nick

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    it could be light but i have seen those grow time and time again under low light at the bottom of the tank. it is after all just an lps. most lps you will not get the right color under high lighting. and what type of damsel, ive seen those host in some unusual things. if he is trying to host it might be getting over stimulated which will cause him to retreat

11. Big Country

Big Country Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you just got it, could it be physical damage from transport? I've had one for about 8 months now and used to keep my calcium in the 450 range with out any problems. Mine is under a 12 bulb T-5 fixture.

12. coral_bandit

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it's about 2 weeks old in tank and just strarted showing recession 3 days ago. Damsel tried hosting in it, kinda swimming through it and steals food from it. It is closer to the t-5's exact 5 inches not the guestimate I used earlier which was 6-7.

13. nick

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I would get the alk up a little bit. But I would mainly blame the damsel. Watch him and if he keeps it up put him in time out. A couple times in like a net and hanging off brim of tank, and if he keeps it up throw him in the sump for a month. They normally behave after that.

14. coral_bandit

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    what would be optimum alk

15. coral_bandit

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    o and I'm measuring alk by meq/L, with DKH is a 19.6, ppm is 350 hope this helps

16. waterfowler

waterfowler

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    alk should be 8-12dkh shot for 10-11dkh IMO. Water changes or a buffer will bring it up.

17. coral_bandit

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I put some buffer/calcium in the other day and will let settle in/ distribute and settle among water. Saw that on another place a person didn't let it balance itself out.
    Thanks

18. nick

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    sounds like your using powder. i like the liquid alot better have had some problems with powder. i have found for optimum color and extenstion 8-9. prefer 9 though.

19. coral_bandit

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok thanks, letting even out

20. coral_bandit

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm
    i'm in zoine 1 on the graph, so best to let it even itself out or do some water changes to help lower