1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Future plans

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by aussie, Feb 9, 2019.

1. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    Anybody have any future major builds going on

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  2. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I will be setting up a 120 soon.

3. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    Oh cool what type of setup are you thinking?

4. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    I have also been working on a 120 with a frag tank plumbed in! Been meaning to get a build thread on here but progress has been 0 for over a month due to busyness.

5. Myfavoriteplace Reef Enthusiast by day, Coral Hunter by night.

Quad Cities
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Draat. I never go to the forum page anymore. II just t got done building a 10 foot 300g with a 7' 70ish gallon frag tank. May try and go back for pics. never any elaborate plumbing or lighting. kind of rats nest actually

6. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    10 ft 300 gal that is huge have to post pics mate love to see it

7. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    My tank I am slowly introducing sps in the tank have two that are growing so I am excited

8. Myfavoriteplace Reef Enthusiast by day, Coral Hunter by night.

Quad Cities
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    It took me almost a month longer to out together. Everything is finally coloring back up still a little more maintenance before I can show it off.

9. Easy E Novice Reefkeeper Leadership Team

Shellsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    I just set up my first reef tank a few months ago and I'm still debating over future plans. I've been pretty successful with FOWLR tanks, but this is a whole new ballgame. I'm taking things very slowly since I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing. So far I have only added a few snails, some zoa frags, and one mushroom. I think my next step will be to add a fish, but any suggestions I can get from experienced reefers would be greatly appreciated. I will also be on the lookout for anyone in the region selling cheap frags or other livestock. I've attached a couple photos of my tank and sump. It is by no means state-of-the-art. Everything is used and either really cheap or free. If successful, maybe I'll start a "Budget Reef Tank" thread. :)

20190102_021514.jpg

Attached Files:

10. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    What fish do you want to keep in the tank?

11. Easy E Novice Reefkeeper Leadership Team

Shellsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Well Aussie, that's a very good question, and one that's recently been much on my mind. It's a difficult decision, which is probably the main reason I've been moving forward so slowly. I've learned from my FOWLR days that the choices you make at the beginning severely limit your choices at the end. In the past, I've inadvertently created environments where you eat fast or you go hungry. This resulted in situations where I had to overfeed just to keep certain fish from starving. For once, I would like to put food in the tank and watch everyone eat at their leisure. Instead of watching a few gluttons try to gobble up everything before anyone else has a chance.

This time, I'm thinking I should try a different philosophy. Start with the picky eaters and go from there. After considering all possibilities, I think I've decided to have another go at a Copperband Butterfly.

I've always considered it THE most beautiful fish available for a reasonable price. But in the past, I could never provide an environment where one could get properly acclimated. I've tried a couple times, and the result was epic failure. Now I have a tank where there is no competition for food and about a hundred pounds of rock that is literally crawling with life. So I've come come to the conclusion that it's now or never.

I talked to the guy at Home Grown Pets and he says they have no problem getting the Copperbands from their supplier to eat, so I went ahead and ordered one. I've also heard accounts from other reefers who have had success, so I'm hoping with the advancements in the hobby, maybe these fish aren't as hard to keep as they used to be.

Wish me luck,
    Eric

12. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    Been told so many times always start with the most softest “non aggressive five and move on up” the copperband is prob one of does home grown has reef mastick as well and if your going with a copperband buy that food a lot of picky eaters love that stuff

13. Easy E Novice Reefkeeper Leadership Team

Shellsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info. I'd never heard of Reef Masstick until you brought it to my attention. I Googled it and it seems to get very good reviews, especially from Copperband keepers. Glad to hear Home Grown has it in stock. That could be why they are able to get them to eat. I'll be sure to pick up both when my fish comes in. Hopefully it will be soon now that it's warming up a bit.

14. ShaneP Well Known Hawkfish

Williamsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    I'm strongly considering downgrading from my 90 to a 40B. I need something easier keep clean on my schedule. I sold off all my corals and most fish. I'm down to just my lightning maroon clown and a tomini tang. If I could find a home for the tomini... you guys interested?

If the downgrade kicks off, I'll be building a new stand and needing to drill a 40. That could offer some regional entertainment at a meeting. I wouldn't mind. In fact, I'd be willing to host the meeting so I wouldn't have to haul tools. Looking at the calendar you guys have made up, May or June is open so maybe then?

15. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    Lmao that sounds like an interesting perposal

16. Easy E Novice Reefkeeper Leadership Team

Shellsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    I've never seen a tank get drilled, so I agree with aussie.

17. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    When would you like to do it ?

18. ShaneP Well Known Hawkfish

Williamsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    Wanna shoot for May? It should be plenty nice by then, it’ll give me time to acquire materials, and I can have my duckies in a row. I have a nice big patio we can sit on, work on, grill on, etc

I do not have the drill bits and have never drilled a tank, so it could be really fun :eek: :D Know where I can borrow the bits?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  19. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    I think I have a 1” glass bit that came with a glass holes overflow kit. Just would have to dig it up out of totes somewhere.

20. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    Sounds like a plan I heard taping the area both sides helps a lot.... water so on