1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

FS: H&S Skimmer

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by rc1214b, Mar 13, 2009.

1. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    H&S A200 skimmer in excellent condition, $600 offer. Located in Cedar Rapids

2. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    pics will help everyone!!!

3. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  4. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That must be one hell of an amazing skimmer to cost $1300 retail and only be rated for 300g. This is why I'm such an avid supporter of DIY...

5. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Umm ok.......you build one and we'll have a diy meeting where you can show us your skills.

6. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, here's the thread about my $150 DIY skimmer.  It pulls some nasty black water out of the tank...  It has similar specs.  Only difference being that mine is taller, but only 6" dia instead of 8".
    http://www.greateriowareefsociety.o...aspx#15657

7. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    My money is on the H&S, if making skimmers was that easy everyone would do it.

8. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It is that easy and anyone can do it with a dremel and a little ingenuity.

9. glaspie69

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Ok, I guess that makes me wrong and you right, I'll look forward to buying one of your skimmers when they launch

10. glaspie69

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Good luck with your sale Ryan thats one heck of a nice skimmer

11. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Of course I'm right. I bet the H&S guy started out with a dremel and some ingenuity too.

12. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By h2so4hurts on 03/16/2009 08:21 PM
    Of course I'm right. I bet the H&S guy started out with a dremel and some ingenuity too. Wow.. I've missed a lot
     You are right......in fact I'm glad you brought that up.  Many of the german skimmers are pricey, in fact most everything from europe is in this hobby. Why is that??? A lot of it has to do with your ingenuity. Pretty much all current skimmers that use a pinwheel, needlewheel, recirculate, have large volutes, bubble plates, twist wedge standpipe, and are a cone originated somewhere over there.  It's not just a pump that blows bubbles into a chamber...ok well it is but there are many variables that come into play to make each skimmer the most efficient possible. The pump used, the impeller, transition into neck, neck diameter in relation to air draw, how tall, what type of stand pipe, how to prevent microbubbles from leaving... They spent money trying to perfect each of these areas for a given model. They also had to pay people a decent wage to create each of these parts so that they complete the final product.  This product has markup leaving the factory, getting on a boat, entering customs, being resold thru a US distributer then finally leaving the LFS.  It was my choice to purchase this skimmer based on past experiences with other brands and types. I tell you what though, I've got thousands invested in coral and it feels good to know that this skimmer will do it's job day in and day out.  They didn't release this product untill it was perfect knowing that their reputation in Europe is top notch..
    Are there cheaper skimmers out there? Of course, in fact in the last 2-3 years the amount has exploded... Most are now being made in China and sell for far less in some cases. These companies have taken the designs and ingenuity that European companies came up with and mass produce them in factories where employees are paid minimal wage.  Some of these brands are tested very little other than using similar specs on pumps, skimmer body, etc.  Have there been issues with mesh pumps not starting, air draw not being what was claimed, same pumps being sold for a wide range of bodies? YUP... Have I purchased a skimmer that was made in China? Yup...and it worked too.  There are a few brands that do the job just fine..
    One good thing is that a few new companies based here in the good ol US are starting to make some nice skimmers too, are they going to be as cheap as the ones made in China? Nope, but they should be less than most coming from Europe and have been tested for months prior to release to make sure our hard earned dollars get us exactly what we purchased.
    I'm all for DIY if it gives you a product that allows you to sleep well knowing it works.  If you've noticed many of the traditional DIY skimmer threads on forums are gone, that's because by the time you produce anything of quality and design, your close to what you could buy from one of the Chinese versions and in most cases those versions wil give you a better result. 
    My only advice is that when someone offers something for sale in this hobby, unless you are interested in it or have something to add that's constructive.... leave it be

13. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well said!!!

14. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actually, I was just commenting that it must be a good skimmer, and because I'm broke I do most of my stuff DIY. You and Glaspie had to turn it all negative. Unfortunately tone and emotion don't transfer well to text on the internet, but I can see how my "..." could have been misinterpreted.

That said, there is a great book that I based my skimmer designs off of. It's pretty technical, but all of the actual scientific trials, calculations, and information are in there. Reading it might help clear up some of the mysticism you're talking about as far as complexity of skimmer design. I'd be more than happy to do a comparison trial with your skimmer and my skimmer in my tank for a few days /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif Then Glaspie can really "put his money" on something /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

Here's the book. I got an amazing deal on it on ebay a while back.

Aquatic Systems Engineering: Devices and How They Function by P.R. Escobal

15. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know the book.... many of the laws he states have to do with the above mentioned design of a qualtiy skimmer. Some skimmer features only help make adjusting the skimmer or connecting it to your system easier for the user. Again, ingenuity in how to make a product that can't always be 5ft tall be as efficient as possible.
    I'd be happy to let my skimmer run on your tank for a few days....... you break it you buy it.  [​IMG]

16. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Haha, not sure I'd be willing to take that risk /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif Can I make you a replacement?? /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

17. glaspie69

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I'm not sure where I said anything negative, or it sure wasn't meant that way.

My money is on the H&S, if making skimmers was that easy everyone would do it.