1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

free: pair of Ocellaris clowns

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Guest, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a pair of Ocellaris clown fish that I'd like to part with. The
    LFS will take them and donate them to a local college for a marine
    biology class. However, I thought I'd try to see if anyone one here
    wants them first. I'm in Urbandale, Iowa. You'd have to pick them up.
    I'm getting rid of them because the small one is a little too
    territorial for my taste (they get along great with each other, it's me
    they feel has no business being in their tank). Here's a picture I took
    today:
    [​IMG]

2. Rustin

Rustin Inactive User GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    pm sent

3. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know exactly what you are talking about.   My pair of percs are the same why.  Everytime I put my hand in the tank they start to come after me.  I haft to flick at them and make them go hind. Just to make it safe for me to just clean the glass. I hate them two fish, and if it wasn't the fact that they where my very first two fish i ever bought, they would be gone.
    [​IMG]

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yep, same deal with these guys. Even when wearing my regular gloves he bites. Flicking it is not effective, even short term. The only thing I've found the male to be afraid of is my orange/blue shoulder length gloves. I respect the little guy, it's like he knows he can bite me unless I'm wearing the thick shoulder length gloves.

5. Rustin

Rustin Inactive User GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mine like to torpedo me in the face everytime I look down into the tank. Hopefully these 2 will get along with my current 2. They have a huge bulb tip to share.

6. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

I'm to the point that if I need to be in the tank for any amount of time, I'll remove my pair.  Funny...they're so cute and friendly when you first get them!

They'd be gone by now, but...Biocube limits what fish I can have and my wife loves them!

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, mine do the same thing. Mean suckers!!! They love to go for the sensitive skin right in between my fingers. I've found that just wearing some wrist length vinyl gloves (after running some water over them to get the powder off) take enough of the "bite" out so that it doesn't startle me. Yeah, I guess the fact that I allow these little tiny fish to startle me like that makes me a bit of a wuss, but I do feel a lot better about sticking my hand in there with the glove on.

8. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By apjohnson on 01/11/2009 03:43 PM
    Yeah, mine do the same thing. Mean suckers!!! They love to go for the sensitive skin right in between my fingers. I've found that just wearing some wrist length vinyl gloves (after running some water over them to get the powder off) take enough of the "bite" out so that it doesn't startle me. Yeah, I guess the fact that I allow these little tiny fish to startle me like that makes me a bit of a wuss, but I do feel a lot better about sticking my hand in there with the glove on.
    I learned the hard way, about 3 years ago, as another pair that I had bit me when I was fragging some frogspawn...I yanked my arm back, and on the way out of the tank I caught my knuckle on my MH reflector.  Made a mess! 
    I also had someone over getting frags once that thought it was cute that the clowns attacked him, and after a few snaps they actually drew blood from his forearm.

9. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mine used to be a wicked little bastige when he was in my 14 gal biocube. Now he's in a 100 gallon tank with a powder blue tang. He totally stopped biting and gets along great with big blue, its weird.

10. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will take mean clowns off anyone's hands. I am actually looking for a couple older pairs. The bigger the female the better.

11. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I guess my clowns haven't gotten to this stage yet. They just chase anyone in their territory. If I go into the tank, they just swim in their same corner. They do seem a bit nippier in their 12 gal QT tank though... Only 2 more weeks of this crap...