1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

free mandarin dragonete, immediate pickup

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Guest, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've spent boatloads on pods to no avail. This guy needs a big home with lots of pods that naturally reproduce. He's getting WAY to skinny.  I'm in Urbandale.  I'd like to see him picked up by Wednesday.  I know I can't enforce it, but I'd like to see someone with at least a 75G established tank full of live rock take him.  email me,
    iowareef at taxandfinance.com.

2. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i would love to take him but not sure if my tank would support him yet its only been up a few months..but i have plenty of room :) and i love those fish

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i here ya. I fell for the "feed him tigger pods once a month". a big duh, but i guess I heard what I wanted too hear. He really needs an established aquarium so he can beef up.

4. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    PM sent... also want more info, all in PM.

5. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    If Brandon doesn't take him I will, I work in Clive. I have an very established 400 gallon system.
    I would also like to ask that we keep the criticism of local stores a little more on the friendly side. There has been a rift between local stores and GIRS for a long time and we are attempting to build an amiable relationship. It is good for both of us. Many people, including hobbyists and LFS employees, don't understand how many pods it takes for these guys to thrive. We can help them with this education. There is also a bunch of bad information on what different coral species take to survive.
    With your permission I would like to edit your comment to remove the abbreviated profanity. I am not a prude, it is just counter productive to what we are trying to promote. Plus we would like the LFS's to tell people about the club, the frag swaps and other events.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    gb387 is probably picking him up on Wednesday, but thanks.

re: criticism. I didn't voice my opinion appropriately. Go ahead and edit the original. I hope it's okay to still voice our opinions when we think a vendor is doing the wrong thing? IMHO, it is unethical to sell Mandarin's to customers with small tanks and telling them to just buy pods [which you happen to sell] every so often. Removing the expiration data from the pods you sell is also questionable. It is the combination that takes this beyond the pale.

7. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I think it is appropriate to voice your opinion in a constructive way absolutely. If you believe the vendor is removing expiration labels and one of their employees was not trained appropriately that is constructive criticism. I would like to be able to see the local vendors be a part of this website and be able to respond to the issues and agree and try to fix it or disagree. If they are being cursed this will never happen.

8. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By matthewJ on 03/17/2009 07:06 AM
    gb387 is probably picking him up on Wednesday, but thanks.
    re: criticism. I didn't voice my opinion appropriately. Go ahead and edit the original. I hope it's okay to still voice our opinions when we think a vendor is doing the wrong thing? IMHO, it is unethical to sell Mandarin's to customers with small tanks and telling them to just buy pods [which you happen to sell] every so often. Removing the expiration data from the pods you sell is also questionable. It is the combination that takes this beyond the pale. I will pick him up on Wednesday....  
    I had one before and he seemed to be doing well, but I did discover they don't move very fast as I accidentally dropped a rock on him when adding more base rock.  [​IMG]

9. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys I know for a fact Adams received new pods on Friday 03-13-09 and they do rotate there stock. They are honest buisness people. The consumption of pods is the nature of the beast. In my honest opp. compulsive purchases(ie Mandarins and my old Humu Humu) are learning experiences. Research is the only way to be shure that your not gonna get screwed. It sounds to me that you just learned the hard way. Just remember that Adam is in buisness and is also paying outrageous rent/tax/power/livestock/employee $ out every month. of course it isnt going to always be the greatest deal. And batteries arnt always included. But of all the purchases from there store I have never had a sudden death or any kind of bugs or bad hitchikers. I trust anything that Adam would sell to be in my tank. To all viewers please support your LFS!!! Without there presence it would be very depressing to make mostly internet and personal transactions. And please support Adams Aquatics, there tanks are the cleanest/healthiest that I have ever seen at a LFS.

ps How is My Humu Joel!!!lol

Dave Harban......

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We're not talking about a bag of salt, we're talking about a living animal. The notion that the store selling the fish bears no responsibility is nonsense IMHO. Yes, it was a learning experience for me. It's just too bad I had to actually learn it by buying the mandarin (and eventually having it die if I didn't take action). I would have appreciated being cautioned NOT to buy the Mandarin and I would have bought another fish from them. I would have much more respect for the store. It's really hard to get too excited about supporting the LFS if I can't expect good advice.

As far as rotating stock, I was in the store one day and the tigger pods had expired. I was in the store a few days later and they were completely gone. Some time later, they had more...only no expiration date sticker. I guess they've been rotated??? Who knows. I could assume the best (stickers weren't applied at factory,etc) but why take that chance? I just bought them directly from reef mariculture and was happy because the price was the same with shipping and they were very fresh.

11. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not trying to get off topic, but what was wrong with your humu humu bill? I'm thinking about setting up a trigger tank.

12. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    so your telln me Adam isnt charging any mark up? Sweet! oh ya I bought a Mandarin from Adams as well! After consulting with my wife, she remembers as well as I, Judy and Adam drilling us about LR and pods. After about 6-8 mos of waiting for a stock of pods to form we purchased our Mandarin. Sorry if you got bad advice from a ptimer but I doubt that Adam or Judy didnt warn you about the importance of LR for pods. Again sorry about your bad experience and hopefuly a Mandarin will be in your future!

13. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey no prob w/my Humu except his ravinous appitite!!! He could bite right through snail and crab shells!!! A blue Jaw is a much better reef safe Trigger! Tonight I saw my cleaner shrimp half in my bjaws mouth cleaning him up.

14. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Bruce (The Humu Humu in question) is going great. He is a royal pain in the a$$ but he is cool. Thanks again Dave.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I sincerely hope that Adams isn't paying retail price for their pods. I don't know Judy from Adam ...pun intended:), but no one asked any questions about live rock or pods...just to buy tigger pods every month.  I think we've beaten that horse enough. Other than the issue with the Mandarin and the pods, I like the store and the people who work there.  No Mandarin in my future unless it's already trained to eat something in addition to pods.

16. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By matthewJ on 03/17/2009 08:25 PM 
      No Mandarin in my future unless it's already trained to eat something in addition to pods.
    Even that's kind of risky.  Even though some are trained to eat brineshrimp and other frozen foods, they can still starve without eating enough pods to supplement their diet.  I'd just stick with the basics of lots of live rock and have it matured with no other pod eating fish.

17. xmasia

xmasia Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hey matt just want to say good job on your part in giving away the mandarin before it didnt make it,lot of peeps would of let him die.hope you decide to keep your tank and stay in this great hobby.ask ? here on the site if you need info  theres a lot of peeps im sure would be glad to help and answer any?

18. dewdad

dewdad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Glad to see that you found a new home for your mandarin in time. Sounds like you were misinformed by a LFS sales person, It happens to all of us at one time or another. Its just to bad that Dave (billbigsbe1) didnt go back and read his own post on the reef central side (BS from DA) before he lashed out at you like he did. You were far more respectful to Adams than he was to Digital Aquatics. Keep asking qustions becouse nobody knows everything.

19. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bill, that's what I figured. I want to get a humu and a panther grouper, and no snails or shrimp /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

20. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    What size tank? Panthers get HUGE!