1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

frags

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by Marcus Wood, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I was debating on whether or not to post this, but my trates are down around 20 and should continue to drop next month as my denitrator cycles.  If anyone has softies, nems, or other frags for sale please let me know.
    Marcus

2. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    What de-nitrator do you have??

3. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    diy coil, also have a 32 gallon rdsb that brought be down to 20ppm.

4. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How's the denitrator doing so far? Joel didn't you make one as well?

5. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My denitrification is primarily coming from the rdsb. I've had to take down the denitrator a couple of times for leaks, so it hasn't had time to cycle yet.

6. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My DIY is still running, but I as well had to tear into it because of leaks. It never has cycled but to maybe a shade lighter. I broke down and bought a commercial Midwest Aquatics Sulfer De-nitrator last week. It cycled to 0 nitrates in 3 DAYS! It has been running for a week as of last night. It is running at 3 drops per second (about 30ml per minute) now with 0 Nitrates. I will turn it up another drop tonight going to 6 drops per second by the weekend hopefully. I absolutely love this thing so far. Check back in a few weeks but I think this is one of the best investments I have made to date. But remember I am also running an aggressive tank as well as reef on this system and really have to watch the nitrates.

I will also be automating by water changes this weekend. I just received my solenoid valve. :0) I love automation!

7. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How much was the initial investment and what will be the ongoing cost (replacement media)? How many gallons is in your system?

8. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wold very much like to see your automation eqipment, i need to invest in something because i hate carrying buckets of ro/di water every two days..

9. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Mwood, I got lucky, JJ (Double-J) had an extra available and I saved a bunch, thanks JJ. I would highly recomend the Midwest Aqautics Sulfer models. www.midwestaquatics.com They are expensive which is why we try to go DIY. This did give more ideas for a DIY, but the cost would go much higher so might as well buy one that we know works. I would also try to look for used ones on the sale forum. Replacement media is very low as you just top it off with ARM. You supposedly don't have to replace the Sulfer for about 2 years but it is $70. Other than I am up to 4 drips per second now with it coming out at 0 nitrates. I will go up to 5 dps tonight, then hopefully 6 Sunday.
    Wayne,
    You are welcome to come up anytime, but I am an hour north of Des Moines. I drive it everyday, but it is a haul. Other than that I can explain what I have. Hopefully I can get the rest of parts for my auto water change today. Might be a another good thread to start. As someone mentioned in another thread a DIY forum would great to start on here. JB? I think I will post this idea again.

10. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Oh MWood, I have about 200 gallons in my system and have the XL model sulpher de-nitrator.
    Wayne, I haven't carried buckets for water changes for a couple of years. It hasn't been fully automated, but with the turn of a valve and then turning and a pump on a float water changes are done. I do have holes drilled in the floor though.

11. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mwood, did you basically start your tank all over?
    Joel, i designed my system 10 years ago with not a care in the world and never plumbed my fish tank room. It doesn't really matter as we are selling in another year or so.My next system willl be thought out though....

12. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wayne, sort of. I lost all sps, lps, and clams. I still have shrooms, star polyps, nems, and fish. I bought some xenia last week and another bubble nem today. Tank will be softy and nems only till I decide to get rid of my coral nipping pacific blue tang.