1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Help!! Advice? Fragging a leather

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fred, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Fred

Johnston, IA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My first coral I bought was a colt leather off of here almost 4 years ago. It is in its 3rd tank. I have never fragged anything before. This thing is huge and is shadowing/overgrowning into some zoas, stylo and a encrusting branching unknown coral. Before in my old 2 tanks I had to cut/rip this leather off it’s rock and it would ooze out some “leather blood” or something where the tissue was punctured or ripped. So I’m afraid if I trim this thing down with some scissors or razor and this “blood” or whatever it is will affect the corals next to it. From everything I’ve researched it basically says if I run carbon, any toxins will be taken care of. I guess I’m just scared to actually cut it while it’s the display since I’ve never fragged/trimmed before. I can not remove rock it’s on either. I think I already know the answer to my question, which is just go ahead and trim it down and it will be ok. But any advice would be appreciated or if anyone wants to come over and do a couple cuts for me to watch and I can try it with some one watching me and you could keep anything we cut off.

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    A nice sharp razor and make clean cuts and you shouldn't have any problems.

Be prepared to do a water change after awhile and some carbon won't hurt.

3. Ryan Anthony New User

Bettendorf
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yup. Just run carbon and make a clean cut with a sharp razor.