1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Frag glue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wayne1, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just curious what everyone was using for frag glue? 
    I'm sick of buying epoxy from fish store and cheap super glue.
    Has anyone tried using Hobby shop glue(Hobbie Haven)?
    thanks

2. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I'm not sure it really matters as long as it's super glue "gel". I've tried alot of different ones and never noticed a huge difference in any of them. I usually just buy the dollar general glue and put it in a larger reef glue bottle, works good til the tip wears out.

3. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I must of got a bad batch or the kind i bought at the dollar store. I opened them up and 1 squirt comes out.

4. glaspie69

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Try the hobby lobby kind, if you get tired of all of those you can always pick up a large bottle from boston aqua farms pretty cheap

5. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I use the hobby lobby stuff, it's $4.99 but sometime you can get it on sale and its a pretty good size bottle. That along with some acetone and your all set.

6. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Waverz, what are you using acetone for? Cleanup?

7. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Wayne1 on 12/26/2007 5:47 PM
    I must of got a bad batch or the kind i bought at the dollar store. I opened them up and 1 squirt comes out.
    [​IMG] This happens to me too.  After around 10 .07 tubes I figured out I get like 5 squirts if I keep using the same top.  The litttle tubes are still not worth the $.99. 

8. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Wayne1 on 12/26/2007 7:19 PM
    Waverz, what are you using acetone for? Cleanup?I'm not %100 on this but i think Frag glue accelerator = Acetone
    One drop dries super glue almost instantly.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm happy with the little tubes. I don't use enough to justify a bigger package, and yes the tips become sealed shut, but the cutting the very end of the tip off solves that problem.

10. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I mainly use the Duro brand super glue gel from Walmart.  They come in a twin pack for under $2.
    [​IMG]

I like the Loctite brand but they do cost more for the fancy easy grip on the side of the bottles.
    [​IMG]

11. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use the Loctite myself...easy to use container.

eins

12. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will try that Duro from wall-mart. I do have some acetone laying around i will try to use it.

13. glaspie69

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Just make sure not to get the acetone on your coral, when I first started using it I kept wondering why my coral frags were dying so quickly after being fragged (spraying the acetone directly on the frag)....I figured it out

14. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Posted By glaspie69 on 12/27/2007 10:07 AM
    Just make sure not to get the acetone on your coral, when I first started using it I kept wondering why my coral frags were dying so quickly after being fragged (spraying the acetone directly on the frag)....I figured it outI learned that the hard way as well....makes the glue dry fast but can also kill your frag fast too.....

15. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By glaspie69 on 12/27/2007 10:07 AM
    Just make sure not to get the acetone on your coral, when I first started using it I kept wondering why my coral frags were dying so quickly after being fragged (spraying the acetone directly on the frag)....I figured it outWas this around the same time you couldn't keep the sunset monti alive in your tank? /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

16. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Looks like you just blew your chance at getting any more coral from Jason....way to go Sone.

Hehehe

17. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey, it was an honest question. I wasn't trying to poke fun at him....unless you were reading between the lines AGAIN!!! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

18. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the warning.

19. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Another thing, People should put the frags in the water upside down. When placing them in water rightside up wet glue can get on the coral killing or burning it.

20. Jamie

Jamie Well-Known ReefKeeper Vendor

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Posted By vvolfe1 on 12/27/2007 8:37 PM
    Another thing, People should put the frags in the water upside down. When placing them in water rightside up wet glue can get on the coral killing or burning it.
    Upside down? wouldn't the glue run down the frag then?  Rightside up excess glue would run away from the frag. I guess I don't understand what you are trying to say.  CA based glue is not going to hurt the frag anyway.