1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

For those running Neptune Controllers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gered, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Is it worth spending the $75 for the full program or can I get away with just the lite? I have been using the lite version with my ACjr but that also lacks some of the stuff the ACIII does(which I am getting this weekend)

Other downer is there is no version for Mac but I have windows 7 I might be installing soon. Just not brave enough yet.

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I never use Aquanotes with my AC3. Between the AC3's built in web server, Joel's Reef Tracker program and the iPhone app, I don't have any need for Aquanotes.

-JB

3. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Whether you realize it or not, you're braver running Vista than you are Windows 7.  Windows 7 is stable.  Now I can understand your comment if you're running XP...
    --AJ

4. Gered

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Hmmmm hopefully I can get this going as easy as my ACjr. I didnt know there was a built in web server. Will there be any problems running this on a mac or safari? Might be needing some help!

5. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The built in webserver is going to work fine with Mac and Safari. My program, Reeftrakker, is Windows only. I have not tested on Windows 7 but in theory it should be fine.

6. Gered

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Ok another question...do I have to hook this into a router/hub/switch or can it go straight into my comp via ethernet cable? My router is all the way upstairs and there is no way I can get a cable down here. If do need to hook it into something then my comp anyone have any suggestions? I have looked at a few hubs/switches but kind of pricey. Sorry for all the questions just need to figure things out as soon as possible so I can get things together.

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You can hook it directly to your computer if you want...just use a cross-over cable and a local network...but I would use a hub if I were you. Hubs are cheap. You can get a Linksys wireless router with built in 4 port hub for around $40.

--AJ

8. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Gered head over to DIT in DSM at  141/80 they have 5 port hubs cheap. I think in the 25 dollar range. Best Buy may have something too. You can always get one cheap on ebay as well.

9. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Been talking to him via PM. He needs a wireless bridge. I'm recommending the Linksys w/ DD-WRT route. Got a different/easier suggestion?

--AJ

10. Gered

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Anyone tried using those plug-in outlet boxes that send signal through existing power wires in your walls? I have seen good reviews and a few bad. They are pricey but for someone like me that has no knowledge of this networking stuff might be a safe route. If they truly do have decent speed then it would be nice then I could hook my PS3 and Mac into it also so I am not relying on my wireless.

11. gravattj

gravattj Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The DD WRT route would be my recommendation.

12. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The X10 stuff (power line control) will drive you insane. It is very touchy. When it works it works, when it doesn't it sucks. I have alot of experience with it and still use it some.