1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Flooring question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ryan H, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Ryan H

Luzerne
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Anyone out there that has an older house with a larger tank looking for advice. I have a house built in the 1930s. Tank would be on the main floor above the basement. Flooring is older cross planked over joists. How big if a tank can I go before reinforcing?

Thanks

2. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    depends on several factors, hard to tell without alot of particulars and each situation is different.

how wide are the joists?
    spacing of joists?
    against a load bearing wall on a cement/or block foundation wall?
    subfloor thickness, finish flooring thickness (if finished wood ect)
    stand type? full base or hd feet?
    perpendicular or parallel to the joists?
    and other factors im not thinking of atm too.

tank water rock etc is alot of weight. look on the bigger forums and there are tons of threads on that topic. i wouldnt go over 90 on a non reinforced non slab floor just to be on the safe side, but depending on construction that could be too much as there is alot to consider, others may disagree and say bigger but ive had a 75 sag a floor a bit running perpendicular over a few joists 10"ea, not terrible but its noticeable now (house built 1954). all mine go on a garage slab concrete now. if you have a basement thats fun/habitable then id consider down there and you can have as big as you can get down the stairwell. otherwise just get some post jacks and some lumber and beef up the joists and support to be safe and have peace of mind

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  3. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    and be safe and go concrete slab in your basement if your questioning upstairs placement. be safe. each house is different so what works for one person could be a disaster for another. i reinforced my floors for my old 100 gal over our crawl space after the 75 issue in another spot in the house and the 100 was fine w 40 sump and rock ect.

ps im no structural engineer so do your research lol or put a big ol tank in the basement and not worry haha

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  4. Ryan H

Luzerne
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    75 - 90 should be safe though?

5. cameron lake Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +129 / 3 / -0
    ya you will be good.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020