1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

floating carbon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi!  I recently got some carbon and have it in a mesh bag and am trying to figure out the best way to float it.  I have a 29 gallon biocube.  Should I put it in the middle chamber, or the left chamber or right chamber?  I tried it in the left chamber, thought that was where it's supposed to go, but doesn't seem to float, and it messes with my min/max. water level gage.   Isn't it supposed to float??  Maybe not enought water in the chamber???  Just need some advice on the whole carbon floating please.  Thanks!!!!

2. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    No I have never seen carbon float.Who ever told you that dose not know what they are talking about. You can put the carbon anywhere that water will flow through it but the best place for it is in the last chamber of your filter.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for straightening that out for me.  I don't know where I got that whole "floating" idea.  I probably just didn't listen close enough to the instructions they gave me and got confused.  Oops!!

4. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah you definately want water to flow through the carbon :)

5. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's my bad on using the term float, I meant after placing the carbon and PO4 remover in the mesh bag cinch the top and secure it so that the top of the bag is out of the water. You can have the drawstring slightly sticking out of your hood or tie it around one of the cords so that the bag " floats" instead of sinking to the bottom and either clumping up or sticking to your pumps intake. The carbon iteself will sink...btw make sure you rinse your carbon/ PO4 in RO water prior to placing it in your tank to remove the dust and fine particles. Use the left chamber where your pump is. If you need to raise your water level so be it.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

ok thanks.   That definitely helps!  I tend to take things a little too "literal" sometimes if you know what I mean[​IMG]