1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Flickering Halide bulb????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jtown, May 1, 2009.

1. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So my 175 bulb has started to flicker a little bit the last two days and its driving me crazy!!! What could cause this? Is it normal for a new bulb to "burn in" before this will stop??? I have a 175 ice cap electric balast pushing a ushio 175 10k bulb. Bulb was new as of Sunday and its been running 10 hours a day on a timer. The first day when it fired up for the first time it did this for an hour or so but thought nothing of it and then stopped for a few days untill tomorrow and is not doing it again... Is it possible the ballast is almost shot or the bulb was just a fluke dud? Please chime in with suggestions because this is bothering me BAD!!! Thanks guys....

2. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like a bad bulb to me. You didn't happen to buy 2 at the same time did you? Did you notice any flickering before you replaced the bulb?

3. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have an old bulb that i just screwed in and it doesnt flicker at all... All signs point to bulb then huh??? Is this a common problem or part of a break in period? Halides are new to me so I know absolutely nothing about them.

4. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    The filament in the bulb is bad Is my guss.

5. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I just put the new bulb back in and after a few minutes it flickers again. If somebody were to try and fire this bulb with a ballast that wasn't meant for the bulb could that hurt it and be the reason it's damaged???

6. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    when i first got this bulb i put it on my setup 250w magnetic ballast thinking it was a 250w, but after trying it a few times i then took it out and did research and found it was a 175. it was still new never fired, but i bought it from another reefer of RC not the store, i sold it to jtown. if trying it on my ballast did something to it i will make it right. but that bulb needs an electric ballast, to fire it since it dont have a built in ignitor...i could of screwed it...

7. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does anybody know if this could be the reason??? Anybody ever run into this problem before???

8. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd say that's probably the reason.

9. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well you know now that it's the bulb that's wrong, and I would bet trying to fire it on a 250watt ballast caused the problems with it too.