1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Flexible hose/pipe...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gb387, Apr 30, 2009.

1. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am going to be using some flexible hose to connect a few things on my tank in addition to hard pipe.  What kind do you guys use, should it be pressure rated or Flexible PVC or Clear tubing?

2. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I just get the clear stuff from the hardware store. You should start a thread about your new tank, I'm interested to see it.

3. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Bill on 04/30/2009 08:28 PM
    I just get the clear stuff from the hardware store. You should start a thread about your new tank, I'm interested to see it.
    I plan to do a thread on the new tank...  Right now the big hangup is my stand, I have the stand built painted and ready but it still needs to be faced and I have not decided what wood I want to use.  I want something a little different no oak, Alder maybe but its a little hard to find.

4. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Cool I have no advice about the wood but I am interested to see some pics when you are ready.

5. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    oak is overrated......go walnut or cherry they stain up really nice. but are pricey and not sure you can get in a 4x8 sheet haha might have to do panels of 1x12's or something

6. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Brandon, for short runs with little bends you can use the normal clear vinyl hose. For longer runs (say over 2 feet) get the reinforced vinyl, it looks like it has threads in it. It will holds its shape much better. Lowes carries both, about $1 a foot for the reinforced or a little more.

7. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's what I use for my return :)

8. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I only use a short piece of hose to conect the pump to the rest of the plumbing.
    [​IMG]

9. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I picked up some hose from Lowe's, my plan is to use it to make the connections to my tank and a PVC 'manifold' I am building, I also am going to use it to connect my MAG 24 to the manifold to distribute water to all needed equipment in hopes the hose will act as something to absorb any vibrations the pump might have.