1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

FishBrain`s build thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FishBrain, Feb 20, 2010.

1. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anemones are hard to acclimate to a new tank......mine was unhappy once and detached and also got stuck in a Tunze nanostream powerhead, but I got him off right away. I put him down in a low flow area with plenty of light and he bounced back, even after losing a few tentacles. Mine likes very little flow. If I clean the powerheads and don't put them back just so and he has too much current, he'll detach. Hope he makes it! Look forward to more pics of your new stuff!

2. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0

Here are a few pics.

[​IMG]
    Here's the nem before the mp40 had it's way with it color wasn't great but it was helthy.
    [​IMG]
    and here is after
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    one thing I did have a problem with is that there was not nearly enough water in this bag. But there was some water in the bottum of the styro cooler so maybe it leaked out.
    [​IMG]
    hard to get a good pic of this guy he moves to fast.
    [​IMG]
    The blenny is a little guy but he is healthy so I'm sure he will grow quick.
    And as far as update on the tank itself all is well. Perameters are stable coral all doing good with great polyp extention with exception of one lps that dosen't like the higher light of the new lights. So I had to move it to the bottum. Other than that all is well.

3. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    When I first put it in I turned the mp40s way down and let it get atached before I turned them back up. I was hopeing to get lucky and have it stay in one spot. Oh well I'm thinking that I will put my black clowns back in the 20gal with the two BTA and what's left of the LTA and let them hang out there for a while.

4. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I like your flasher wrasse...what kind is it? Your blenny looks a little like mine - lots of personality - I'm sure he won't be so shy once he used to his new home.

5. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    It's a carpenters flasher the pic dosn't do it justice at all. Yea I like the starry blenny alot.
    -Bill

6. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Well unfortnatly the flame angel has decided to be a PITA and start nipping at sps polyps. My polyp extention has went from amazing to crap since he started doing this. So I'm most likely going to have to catch him and put him in the other tank.
    Or do you guys think he might stop after a while?
    -Bill

7. matt the fiddler

matt the fiddler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    "Well unfortnatly the flame angel has decided to be a PITA and start nipping at sps polyps"

Once they devolp the taste, it is downhill.

I love flames, but wont' put one in my tank..... they are too hit and miss.

8. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I have a coral beauty and a Potters angel. Both of them nip sps coral when I don't feed them. )Sometimes I forget to feed the tank for a couple days. I know, I suck. But I'm a busy guy and don't always make it home before the lights go out)

9. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a coral beauty, as you know, but never had any problems with it (not a flame angel, but similar). Maybe try adding another type of food or more feedings?

10. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Posted By phishcrazee on 03/23/2010 02:39 PM
    I have a coral beauty, as you know, but never had any problems with it (not a flame angel, but similar). Maybe try adding another type of food or more feedings?
    Yeah thats what I have been doing. And it seems to like flake food the best. Now that I know what it likes i'm power feeding it to see if it will stop nipping.
    -Bill

11. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Well the flame angel is eating every food I offer now but the nipping has gotten much worse. Today it starting nipping at my encrusting montiporas and that is the last straw! A acro can still look good with it's polyps retracted a little but a encrusting monti loses alot of it's color without it's polyps out. So tomorrow I will build a trap of some sort and try to catch it and move it to the other tank.
    -Bill

12. matt the fiddler

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    soryy to hear abotu the flame. they are pretty amazing fish, but I just can't put them in sps tansk now.

can you keep him in a side tank, or do you have to let him go?

13. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Posted By matt the fiddler on 03/29/2010 04:58 PM
    soryy to hear abotu the flame. they are pretty amazing fish, but I just can't put them in sps tansk now.
    can you keep him in a side tank, or do you have to let him go?
    I was actually just going to post about the flame. I caught him this morning. I was thinking how to build a trap then I decided to keep it simple and just use a large glass pickle jar. I put a cube of marine cuizine in it and laid it on the bottum of the tank. Then the waiting game began. It took about a hour for it to go all the way in then I put a pice of egg crate over the mouth of the jar before it could escape. This was surprisingly effective I also caught a large sailfin that was tormenting my black clowns. Every fish in the tank was in the jar at some point. 
    Yes I am going to keep the flame in my 20gal fuge tank that is atached to my frag system. I put the troble makeing sailfin in the 75gal frag tank.
    -Bill

14. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like everything worked out then!

15. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Posted By adampottebaum on 03/29/2010 05:28 PM
    Sounds like everything worked out then!
    Yep all is well on bills reef now!
    Also now I can get 2 new fish for the display he he he.[​IMG]

16. matt the fiddler

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    glad to hear all went well /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

17. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just got ho me from Bills and I will say this about his tank, WOW!! The pis do not do this tank any justice. It is awesome. And the way everything pops under the atinis is just amazing. I could sit and stare at this tank for hours. Great job Bill. Shaun

18. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Thanks shaun! Here are a couple pics of how stuff is coloring up.
    [​IMG]
    Above is before and below is today
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Above os before below is today
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    above before below today
    [​IMG]
    Things are coloring up real nice and growth is insane. I can't wait tell it's been six months and I can do some comparison shots.

19. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Great pics. I need to get down there to see your setup !!

20. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you keep taking pics regular you will be able to page through them and see it like time lapse. Would bee really cool to see. Guess you gots to post at least one full tank shot a week for say six months? Sounds good. You up to the challange there Bill? Shaun