1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Fish Stocking Advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Philby, Nov 15, 2007.

1. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good advice Ryan.  I can't imagine anything worse than watching a fish starve and they are not competative even if they did eat prepared food.

2. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ryan - I definitely did not realize that flow would effect their ability to feed on pods - and I will definitely take this into consideration before introducing one to my tank. Perhaps when I build my "pod mountain" I'll try to find a lower flow area in the tank. Also thanks for the suggestion on alternate blenny options...I've also seen an orange spot blenny so maybe I can find another blenny with better looks but similar personality.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Shouldn't affect how they eat pods, as pods can hold on /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

My refugium is swarming with pods but my display is basically void of them because of my other fish. I don't think I'd be able to keep a mandarin in my 120 unless it ate frozen foods.

4. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I gotcha - the high flow was related to prepared foods! I thought you were just referring to the mandarin in general...

I know your tangs will eat pods - but what else do you have in there that does? Do the clowns?

If you look at my stocking list I think the only thing that would compete with the mandarin for pods might be the clownfish. The anthias are herbivores, as is the blenny (well the lawnmower anyway, others might not be).

Regardless I will definitely not get a mandarin unless I've got pods all over the display.

5. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Philby on 11/16/2007 9:23 AM
    If you look at my stocking list I think the only thing that would compete with the mandarin for pods might be the clownfish. The anthias are herbivores, as is the blenny (well the lawnmower anyway, others might not be).
    Regardless I will definitely not get a mandarin unless I've got pods all over the display.
    My anthias seem to be carnivores.  They won't even eat the nori in my food mix.  I still have pods in my display.  I have anthias and clowns so I don't think they'll compete with the mandarin.

6. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You're right Sone - I just looked closer at some descriptions - and I remembered reading plankton - but it had said zooplankton! Looks like they eat mysis/brine and other meaty foods.

7. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've been looking around at alternative blenny choices - and I think I have decided on a tail spot blenny instead of a lawnmower.

Much better coloration - and seems to have a similar personality to the LMB. Also seems to eat a little more meaty diet which matches my other fish choices so that will lessen the times I need to feed him differently from the rest of the tank (not eliminate, but maybe I'll only have to target feed every 2nd or 3rd tank feeding)

8. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think your clown choice is a good one. The nemo thing should not factor into your decision making. The more rare clowns are rare for a reason. More difficult to collect from the wild and more difficult to breed making them less available tank raised. Ocellaris and Perculas will host just as readily as any other clown. It is a myth that they are more difficult to get to host. I have had many pairs and most hosted a terracotta flowerpot for breeding. The ones that lived in the reef usually chose a frilly shroom or unfortunatly my clownfish eating elephant ear. It is true however that you will have better luck pairing a clown to its typical anemone. Most clowns will host a BTA, but maroon and the tomato complexes are more likely to as they are commonly paired in nature. If you want a good clownfish book I suggest "Clownfishes" by Joyce Wilkerson. It is an easy read that covers everything from the history of clowns through illness and breeding. The rest of your list and plan look well thoughtout also. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif