1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Fish only tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SGM, Jul 19, 2009.

1. SGM

SGM Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Just a quick question.
    If I was to set up a fish only tank.  What could a guy use for rock instead of fiji?  The reason I am asking, if I turn my 180 to a fish only tank that would be a lot of rock to put in there for fish to hide and stuff.
    Also maybe you guys can suggest what to put in the tank.  And in order of what I should do it.
    For sure I know I want some cool fish in there.  Lionfish and tangs and what not.

2. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    fake rock, for a FO tank you dont actually HAVE to have live rock in there but will need some kind of biological filtration like a hiowheel that can keep up, i would do some live rock for sure and you can use the decorative stuff from a pet store as well, but they are about as pricey per pound as live rock...thats just my 2cents. i may be wrong though so dont hold me to it

3. Brett Petland WDM

Brett Petland WDM Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i agree with u snowman. i have a 150 that is FO. and i feel that live rock is the best way to go. it seems that it does a great job of being a natural filter. i have lots of live rock here @ the store that is pretty cheap. so just come on in and i can get u started.
    i would deffintly do a lionfish. and maybe a eel or puffer. they are a blast to watch eat.