1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Fish for tank cycle

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by AJ, Oct 12, 2009.

1. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anyone in the CR area have a fish they are interested in loaning or giving away for cycling my tank?  If you don't want it back, I can always throw him in my sump when I'm done so that the next person that needs to cycle a tank has one.
    --AJ
    Disclaimer: I know there are a lot of people that don't approve of using fish
    to cycle an aquarium.  Thanks in advance
    for not posting the cocktail shrimp or ammonia methods as I am familiar with
    them already but choose to use a live fish.

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Dude! Why not use cocktail shrimp or the ammonia method! KILLER! Someone call PITA!! I kid, I Kid.

When i started up my tank I just did weekly water changes and never lost a fish. It might have prolonged the cycle abit but this way I got to add the fish I wanted right off the bat and didn't have to deal with catching out the un-wanted "guinea pig".

I don't really feel "cycling" has to be as nasty a cruel as people make it out to be.

3. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hahah...nice.  I really want to try to get it done before I put corals and CUC in if possible.  I would love to have it done by Fall Fest, but I'm cutting it short.  I may still have to do some very regular water changes at the end as it tails off, but I at least want to get a good way into it before Fall Fest.
    --AJ

4. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Wow....cutting it close to Fall Fest ! I used a cycle boost to help mine along. I used fish for my cycle also with no loss...at least not until a few months later when he tried to live on the carpet....didn't work out so well.