1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Fish disapear?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by reefgoon09, Sep 13, 2008.

1. reefgoon09

reefgoon09 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have, had, to green chromis but lately haven't seen the other one. Now IDK how often these guys mate but my clowns all of the sudden stay on the right side of my tank and don't even go into the middle. Like they are scared or something to go over there. When I started noticing that my 2nd chromis was gone I looked everywhere and could find him! Just the other day when I was feeding cyclopees he came out and was really skinny and ate for about 2 minutes and then went back into the rocks. The other one will swim around for a little bit but then always go back into the rocks![​IMG] I am just wondering if it is possible that they mated and that the one is sitting behind the rocks and protecting her eggs where I can't see...? There are only so many places a fish can go in a biocube and trust me they have to be in the front because they are def not in the back chambers? Any ideas?[​IMG]

2. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    How are the water params? Is this a new tank I forget?

3. reefgoon09

reefgoon09 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The tank is about 1 1/2 years old and all parameters are good.

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    In my experience, Chromis are one of the more difficult fish to keep long term. They defintely like to be in schools but it always seems like there are one or two "runts" who are shunned by the school and end up hiding in the rock work.

I've never been able to keep a school bigger than 4.

-JB

5. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Chromis are substrate spawners like clowns. There is a possibility that there is a nest back there, but it would be the male heading back to tend the nest not the female.

6. reefgoon09

reefgoon09 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I can't tell the difference between the 2(which one is male and which one is female) if there is even a female...I have no idea! How long would it take for the eggs to hatch if there really was a nest of them?