1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Fish and Equipment for sale - Tipton, IA

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by jimmy_beaner, Mar 19, 2014.

1. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

I have been incredibly busy the last year as I have just finished my PhD at the University of Iowa. I just got offered a position in Des Moines and will be moving by early summer. We've decided with the large change (going from a student to full time career) and a move that the tank is just not practical right now. It kills me to sell the inhabitants but I have to do what's best for my family and right now that means having the freedom to not be tank bound. This is also best for the livestock within the tank. I do feel I will be back in tank in the future (probably 3-4 years) and am excited at the prospects for things like lighting when I re-enter. I am not planning on keeping anything, including my Vortech or my full Apex controller.

The livestock must be sold before the equipment, and I want to make sure they go to a good home. None of these fish have ever been sick... not a single spot of ich has ever been in the tank. I've worked hard to make sure the fish have been safe. All the inhabitants have been in the tank for 1.5 years, again without a single problem. As always, prices can be negotiable... I'd like to give them a little bit of time prior to dropping the price... but they must go.

Fish

7" - 8" Blonde Naso Tang - $100

Six-line Wrasse - $15

Pair of Percula Clowns - $35 (would prefer to keep them paired, they've been together for some time)

Flame Angel - $40

Blood/Fire Shrimp - $15

I also have live rock. I don't know that I have a scale that would do them justice but there are some larger pieces in the tank. I have recently had a bit of an algae issue mostly tied to needing to revamp the clean up crew. I have some chaeto I'd like to sell for $5 per stuffed sandwich bag. I'm not sure what to do with the snails/crabs that I have in the tank, so any suggestions you might have would go over great. I've gotten rid of most of the coral in the tank, but there are still a few left. I also have some rather tiny rose bubble tips in the tank that I'm open to suggestions with.

Equipment

I'm not going to put prices on the equipment until the fish sell as I can't get rid of the equipment prior to the fish. I don't think it'll take that long to sell off 5 fish but we'll see.

90 gallon "reef ready" Marineland corner overflow tank

29? gallon sump - it has special dimensions and was rather difficult to find... I'd obviously get full measurements prior to an offer

home built canopy and stand

Eheim 1260 return pump x 2

Eheim jaeger heaters (3 different sizes)

Tunze ATO

Reef Octopus 150?

80/20 light rack, still fully adjustable

Tropic Eden Reef Flakes - 1 new bag (in garage), 2 bags in the tank

Full Apex controller

Vortech MP40es?

lots of individual LED stars - Cree?

Biocube 29 gallon - $75

Please let me know if you're interested. Some things can be sold early, such as the bag of Tropic Eden Reef Flakes that's in the garage or the Cree LED stars. Feel free to text 319.930.0636, e-mail - brian.r.pinney@gmail.com, or private message.

2. jazzybio13 MBI Breeder

Ames
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sent pm

3. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    Replied.

4. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    Also, for what it's worth... when I do decide to set up a new tank (which I've already discussed with my fiance), I would love to have some more expert tank keepers around Des Moines explain some of the problems I've had both between my Biocube and my 90. I think it mostly comes down to lighting and I think that could be resolved by some nice LED units and making sure I keep up on revamping my clean up crew. I know she would be a lot more receptive to a full 200-300 gallon tank if I could better manage those things.

5. Blaze

Blaze

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Ill buy the Apex!!! Just let me know when its available and how much you will be asking for it.

6. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    I'll be working on equipment prices today. I see a ton of you are interested in equipment, which I guess is to be expected. I will restate that no currently attached equipment will be sold until all the livestock is gone.

7. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

Picture of the tang. I'll work on getting fish pictures up as they are requested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0

There are plenty of experienced reefers in Ds. Ms and the burbs to help you in the future Jimmy with lighting issues, etc. Just let us know when you are needing help! :0) Congrats on your PH.D.!! What a great accomplishment! Wish you were closer as I would take the Flame Angel, 6-line wrasse and shrimp!

9. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Text sent

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  10. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    We'll see how long it takes to sell them. We'll have to be going to Des Moines to look for houses so that might help?
    As far as the LEDs... I believe only the 18 royal blue Crees are left. I'd like $3 each for those.

11. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    Pm sent

12. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    Alright, I have some preliminary pricing for equipment. Prices are negotiable... I don't tend to consider myself strong at figuring out what used equipment should be priced at. If you are wanting to jump on equipment for the price listed, I am fine stating that it is conditionally sold (condition being payment obviously). If you are wanting to negotiate price, that is also fine but my negotiating will be limited until fish are sold. There has been a fairly decent interest in all of the fish so far, but mostly the blonde naso tang.

Pictures of everything is available upon request. Either crappy cell phone pictures from my Galaxy S4 or high quality DSLR pictures from my Canon 7D.
    On to equipment pricing:
    90 gallon RR Marineland tank - $150 (can't remember how much I paid for it)
    29? gallon sump - $75
    Eheim 1260 return pumps (x2) - $80 each
    Eheim heaters - Need to figure out wattage, I believe I have 200W, 250W, 300W versions.
    Tropic Eden Reef Flakes - I've included a link below. Some of the best sand I've ever used.
    I have one new bag - $35 (I can easily keep it for the next tank, it's expensive stuff). I have two bags IN the tank right now, you can have for $30.
    http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/TE-TE03616R30.html
    Vortech MP40es (I have one) - $350
    Full Neptune Apex - $450 I am really feeling I will be selling this, but have to consider how much of a loss I want to take on it considering I'll be buying it again when I set up a new tank.
    Tunze ATO - $150
    Reef Octopus Skimmer NWB150 - $170

Again, prices are negotiable.
    A "total package" price without live rock or sand for equipment would be $1250 with one Eheim return pump. Total added price for everything comes out to $1425 (one return pump, no sand).

The TOTAL package if you wanted everything listed comes to $1800, discount for buying as a package would be $1550. I need to find a scale for live rock as that is going to be available as well.

Lastly, the move for us is planned for May so I still have some time. As we move toward May, prices will drop. As always, it is first come first serve. I don't like holding items for people that call "dibs" because that's why I still have my Biocube in the garage a year later.

13. Bigkel

Bigkel Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How old is the skimmer?

14. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    Skimmer is 1.5 years old. Cleaned every 3 months. Would come cleaned to you (unless you want to avoid the break in period).

15. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    If you can bring it to des Moines with you sometime ill take the flame Angel

16. LiLNicky Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +197 / 4 / -0
    TEXT SENT

17. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    I'm not sure the next time we'll be headed toward Des Moines.

18. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    The only tank inhabitants left in the tank are a pair of percula clownfish and some xenia. Looking for some offers and then we can move forward with the equipment!

19. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    To spice things up a bit... how about $30 for the pair of perculas and free Xenia. Pics upon request.

20. ThyRaven

ThyRaven Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Dang it! I always miss the good stuff! I so want a blonde naso and flame angel.