1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

first water change since adding livestock

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by Guest, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm just about ready for my first monthly water change since adding my crabs, snails and 2 clownfish so I'm more nervous than I was with my first water change.  I have a 29 gallon tank.  How does 1 time a month 20% water change sound.  Also, is it important that I mix it 24-48 hours in another container and that I get the temperature in there the same as the temperature in my tank?? Anything else I should test while it's in the other container before adding it into the tank?  Anything else important you think I should make sure and do that I didn't mention feel free to let me know.  Just want to be extra careful, don't want to kill anything off right away.... thanks!!!!!

2. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if you can mix it before hand i would. would make it less stressful on the fish, if you can mix it and let it sit that long, do your water change slowly as to not just add it all at once and cause a temp change in the tank. what are you using for water? RO, tap?

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm using RO water.

4. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    k well i would think if you just did your change slowly over an hour or so it'll be ok if you dont let the new water get up to temp. thats the hard part with the smaller tank is keeping the water parameters in check with water changes. I love the small tanks though :)

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sounds good. I really didn't want to have to buy another heater just for that purpose.  Thanks for the help!

6. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As long as the salt as mixed for 24 hrs you're good. Like mentioned earlier, if you can do a drip water change over time. Take a piece of airline tubing from your new batch of water to the tank and use another airline from the tank to a waste bucket. If you have one of those small cheap blue valves so you can control the flow and get them to match at a pace you're comfortable with that way your temp won't fluctuate that much.

I do that with my tank 5 gallons at a time. It's easier than waiting for a to fill back and forth with just a single bucket. But I do 20 to 25 gallon water changes at a time also though.

7. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Make your salt solution and get it up to salinity and let it mix at least a few hours, overnight is best, a couple hours before you get ready to do the change, take your heater out of your tank and put it in the new mix to get it up to temp. Then siphon out your tank water, then add new...good to go

8. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    MJ powerhead works great for fast mixing, if you have an extra lieing around. Walmart also has some cheak 4-6 gallon tank heaters for around 9 bucks, would be perfect for the small amount of water you plan on replacing. At first I didn't want to get the thing either (I run a 10g nano) but it is very convenient. You can let it warm for a few hours and then just do the water swap when it is ready, no need to do a little at a time as you would without the heater.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the advice everyone.  It's very helpful.  I'll just be glad when I have the first one done, then I'll be a pro at it like y'all:)

10. dzabler

dzabler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    for the future...i mix the water in a 5 gallon bucket and put a mj 1200 and 900 in there to mix it up. These are just extra powerheads i have around and they actually do a really good job warming the water. I also let the salt water brew for atleast a day, i think that is how the powerheads warm the water cause they are in there so long.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone!  I ended up using an extra pump/heater and mixing it in a tub about 24 hours.  I've now completed my first successful water change without killing anything off!  It looks much cleaner in there, really soaked up some green algae that had been on the sand.

12. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I usually heat the water until it's tank temp, dump in salt and let it mix for an hour with a powerhead. Hung says he does his client's after 15 min. A whole day of mixing probably isn't necessary.

13. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Posted By h2so4hurts on 04/30/2009 03:16 PM
    I usually heat the water until it's tank temp, dump in salt and let it mix for an hour with a powerhead. Hung says he does his client's after 15 min. A whole day of mixing probably isn't necessary.
    It's actually been recommended by several salt companies that you pre mix your water at least 24 hours before changing. This allows time for the salt to disolve properly, ph to come into balance and for the proper temp to be acheived. I would stick with the salt companies as it is kinda what there good at.

14. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The flip side is that it may not be a great idea to let it sit for a long time. I've noticed with Reef Crystals that I'm starting to get a layer of precipitate in my water change container, that has to be coming out of the salt...