1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

First try at a tank video...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by einsteins, Sep 9, 2008.

1. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all
    I bought one of those Hard drive camcorders and thought I would give a try to videoing my tank.
    I obviously have a lot to learn....as much as I have learned about still photography, its obvious none of that helps with video.
    You tube really compresses video and that effects quality, I need to find a way to work around that.
    anyhow here it is.....Go easy on me.
    eins

2. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The tanks looking great Bill. That's some nice polyp extension on the Chips Acro. THose fish must be pretty big because they make your tank look tiny.

3. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Bill, what kind of camera did you get?? I was going to get a hard drive model but as many hard drives as i've gone through with my pc's, i was a bit leary about archiving videos on them so i opted for mini DV, i know tape has a VERY long shelf life. Anyway if you want quality use Vimeo.com instead, you can upload high res videos and if your camera is HD capable you can do that too.

Tanks looking good BTW....

4. jwess

jwess

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bill,
    Im curious about how you got that wave action in your tank. Does all that water motion make a lot of noise in your overflows? Very impressive tank. Also what lights are you using? I would like to get that look in my tank.
    Josh

5. einsteins

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    THanks Josh

Lights are two 400W MH with 20k Radium bulbs and Lumenbright reflectors.

The wave is created using two Tunze 6101's connected to my AC3 controller with the Aquasurf add on.

That is a 1.5 to 2" wave when lights are on and it moves everything in the tank. Corals seem to love the movement.

As for noise in the overflows...I dont think there is much at all...maybe just a small trickle sound but nothing load by any means.

eins

6. einsteins

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Jeremy

I got a mid range unit by JVC called the Everio.

Not HD but good enough for what I do. I plan to get an external Hard drive to store photos and movies on.

eins