1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

First berghia eggs lain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by IowaDiver, Jan 24, 2008.

1. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I just found my first Berghia eggs. So far I've been putting them to work eating the aptasia off of my zoanthid frags. They are working on the second frag plug right now. Im amazed they survive in a tupperware container with no oxygenation. The only thing I've done is do a small water change with a syringe and top off evaporated water. One annoyance is that the tupperware container is tipping over on its side and I don't like it that it may expose air to them. I may need to find some packing foam and tape it to the sides to keep the container right side up.
    If even half of those eggs survive, I may be in trouble keeping them all fed. I really need to come up with a good way to breed aptasia.
    I've been considering taking a few of my largest aptasia, blending it in a blender and then put the results in a tupperware container with a few frag plugs. It works with mushrooms, why not aptasia, right?
    Chris
    <

[​IMG]

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    That's awesome. I've been watching mine closely, but I haven't seen any eggs yet. Hopefully soon.

-JB

3. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    they didn't waste any time cool

4. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What a science project you have going on there!   cool

5. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    neat. I might be interested in some of the off spring. the UNI aquarium is loaded with aptasia.

6. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Should be some good info floating around on growing these guys out. I know Anthony Calfo was farming them for awhile.

7. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As for breeding aptasia you can blend them and also just feed the tar out of them. Throw some in a 10-20 gallon with some rock and a HOB filter. Feed alot of brine and baby brine.

8. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Travis on 01/25/2008 7:00 PM
    As for breeding aptasia you can blend them and also just feed the tar out of them. Throw some in a 10-20 gallon with some rock and a HOB filter. Feed alot of brine and baby brine.
     I read an article on it by calfo.  Lots of good info. I think I will try blending/chopping some up, and pour the chunks into a tupperware container with frag plugs in it and see what happens.
    I do have a 10 gallon tank that I could set up If I can find somewhere to put it. Hmmm. I'll have to look into that.
    thanks,
    Chris

9. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I still haven't had any luck getting the berghia in my tupperware container to lay eggs. I ended up putting several of mine into my display tank because I was having a hard time keeping a ready supply of aptasia for them to eat. I did notice today that there is a coil of eggs on the rock where they are currently hanging out in my display tank. So I don't know if I'm going to have much luck breeding them, but things are looking somewhat promising for at least getting a population going in my display tank.

-JB

10. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure they will lay eggs pretty soon.

I had a bit of a setback. I didn't check the tupperware container for 3 days and when I opened it, it smelled like something rotten. I guess there was some die-off on the zoa frag that the berghias were cleaning. I found another egg sack on the bottom of the zoanthid frag and I put that in the main tank. Hopefully, something will come of it.