1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

filter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by XxxTakxxX, Jun 14, 2009.

1. XxxTakxxX

XxxTakxxX Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have decided to hold off on my sump until I am a little more comfortable with keeping the tank steady. My question now is do I need an actual filter of any kind along with a skimmer since I am mainly doing a 55 gal reef tank with less than 8 fish or can I just get a skimmer and call it good with proper water circulation

2. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The thing is a sump will help you keep your tank steady, by increasing your water volume. If your tank isn't set up yet I would definitely reconsider adding one now rather then later.

Unless you plan on having lots of live rock and doing weekly water changes I would definitely run some kind of filter. 

Just my two cents.

3. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Even if you just get a rubbermaid tote or something similar for a sump, it will be a great help. As B-Rad stated, it will help keep the tank stable. 'The solution to pollution is dilution.'

Mark

4. XxxTakxxX

XxxTakxxX Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are the 'Kent Marine Nautilus TE' skimmers any good?

5. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just woundering if you are still interested in the 30g sump. Or have you decided to go sumpless.

6. XxxTakxxX

XxxTakxxX Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I do want that 30 gallon. However it may take longer than I anticipated because every skimmer I try to buy off ebay ends up gettign outbid with 10 seconds to go. I'm trying to spend as little as possible but still get a good skimmer. SO anyone out there with a good deal on lets say a 150 gallon skimmer let me know in this thread or PM me. That way I can use itnow and not have to buy a bigger one later when I get a bigger display tank.