1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

feeding puffers? GIRS swapping?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Will44, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Will44

Will44 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am wondering how GIRS swaps frag corals and how to get some? i was also wondering what people feed thier puffers, i just got a blue spotted puffer and he seems fine except he has eaten very little, ive tried mysis and krill and am wondering? WJP

2. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    are you talking about the swap coming up in a few weeks or just all together? the swap is basically a swap/sale. as far as in general if you want some just post what you want and someone may have some. Or just keep an eye open on the forums some people will trade frags for other tank supplies and such. Frags are a form of money around here haha but are only worth so much.

as far as the puffer i have no clue on that

3. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Dont feed them too much krill. It can kill the puffer because they aren't nutritional.

4. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I use to feed my puffer gold fish and he grew like a weed I also fed him frozen squid.

5. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    In a book I just read they were talking about feeding a picky puffer and they went to a deli counter at a grocery store and get some uncooked tiger shrimp, shell on(cheep stuff). Look up it's natural diet in the wild and then you can find some of that there also. Mussels, clams, oysters, scallops, crab, some places will have others like octopus, squid, and other exotic MARINE fish. Just make sure it's from a saltwater environment.

6. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yup that's it! Only feed krill once in a while, like Chris said it will eventually kill puffers and lionfish. Feeding freshwater species will do the same. Although feeding goldfish and rosy minnows is a good way to get them to eat. Problem is usually after they have live they don't want frozen anymore. Just be persitent.
    Has he eaten "little" or none? If he has eaten some that is great. Get shrimp and squid and keep offering it. I have gone as far as tube feeding a puffer but he was really sick from too much krill.