1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Feeding a mandarin (The How To)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phathead, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I STARTED feeding useing a eye dropper that came with one of my test kits,  feeding twice a day by the eye dropper with blood worms.  once he knew what was going on he would wait for the times I was feeding and be right there.  Always making to sure to feed him in the same spot everytime where there is low current.  I then decided to try a algae clip with a frozen chunk of blood worms.  It worked great.  By time it would start thawing he was already there eating away.  He is now starting to get fat and healthy again.  Ive tried this method with both of my mandarins a pyschodelic and a spotted worked great with both.  No more buying expensive live feed off the interent.  Hope this helps some people.  Also found out they will eat Prime reef flakes also but couldnt think of a way to feed accuratlely.

2. Phathead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Sorry for the bad pics need a new camera

3. hopper75

hopper75

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for sharing the tips! I've been thinking about a mandrin for a while but the feeding aspect has worried me.  I have a ton of pods in my tank but seeing them eat prepared foods is always nice. Where did you get him from? I saw a few at Pets Playhouse last night that looked to be in good health.
    BTW I still might hit you up for a few zoo frags. If it's ok I'll PM you sometime about meeting up.
    Brian

4. Phathead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have a spotted mandarin which is really small 1' I got him from Petland in Iowa City and My Big one I got from Haung at Sea of Marvels that is by far my store of choice he treats me right.  I have alot of pods too or I did and then I read somewhere that full grown mandarins can eat 700-1000 pods a day.  The best I do for live food is take my chaeto from my refugium about 5 LBS and shake it in the main tank once a week that gets a few up their for them to eat.  I havent done that for 1 week now.   Note also the two mandarins DO NOT get along but I feed on seperate sides of 125 gallon tank so in return they make home on that side works pretty well.  When they do get into fights it is actually really neat to see they never hurt each other it seems to be more about displays that they create with way of swimming and top fin movement.  The scooter I also have gets along with both of them contrary to what books say about the scooter.

5. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thats great that you got them to eat that stuff. You must not have other fish in the tank then? Oh and if you can ever get a male/femail pair of mandarins and can get them to eat packaged food, its a cool thing. They like to swim around the tank together, and when the lights go off in the tank they will do an elaborate mating dance, revolving around each other as they swim from the bottom to the top of the tank. Really cool.

6. Phathead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have about 10 other fish in the tank I just feed them at the same time. Even when I dont they patiently wait about 6 inches from the madarin and grab any passing food the mandarin might have let go by.