1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Feeding a Banggai

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bobsfish, Jun 2, 2009.

1. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I've been told that Banggai Cardinalfish are tricky to feed - that they won't eat flake food and require frozen brine, or diy seafood blends. For those that own banggais, what do you feed them? What do they prefer / avoid?  Before I get one, I want to know what I'm in for.

2. crony333

crony333 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I just got into the hobby and I decided to use diy food from the get go.  Its a fairly simple recipe and I see him eat very well sticking to fresh seafood and leaving anything thats green alone.  For seafood I stuck in some mussels, scallops, chunk of salmon, tilapia,octopus, and some shrimp.  Its all chopped and can't realy tell what he eats at the time but I do know he likes octopus about the onlything that I can distingish because it stays sort of stringy. 

3. bobsfish

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    thanks - I guess that's one more confirmation about their feeding habits. There's a diy seafood activity for the CR/IC group. I'll wait to get the Banggai until after we make the food.
    btw...where do you get your ingredients? many are grocery store items...but octupus - where do you find that?

4. crony333

crony333 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    HyVee had Octopus.... Alot of the bigger supermarkets have different types of seafood.   I was looking for squid as well but that is 1 thing they didn't have.  The stuff the supermarkets have in Iowa most likely bring in all their seafood frozen and then thaw out what they need.  Just make sure you rinse everything pretty well to get rid of any preservatives that the seafood might have been sprayed with.

5. Big Country

Big Country Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have 7 of them in 3 different tanks - all eat Rod's Food and brine shrimp readily.  In the past they have also gotten squid and some other frozen seafood mixes - so far I don't think I have found anything they don't like.

6. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +614 / 2 / -0
    Mine has readily eaten the frozen mysis shrimp.

7. bobsfish

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Have any of you gotten them to eat any flake food, like Prime Reef?

8. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +614 / 2 / -0
    No - I could never get it to eat flake food.

9. Big Country

Big Country Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Haven't even tried - haven't used flake food in any of my salt water tanks.

10. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mine eat flake and pellet, but it is very rare.

I used to breed them also and the best thing to feed them is a variety of frozen foods. Mysis shrimp should be their main diet with brine as a treat. Prepared foods like Rod's are nice because you get the variety without the mess and hassle. If you want to growout live brine they love those.

11. bobsfish

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    This is all great feedback....thanks

12. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +614 / 2 / -0
    I use to be able to get live brine at the LFS, but not anymore.  The bangaii loved them.  Do you grow your own?  How difficult and how much effort is it?